Author Topic: Hambridge walker and Thompson canal people.  (Read 20840 times)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hambridge walker and Thompson canal people.
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
If that is the correct marriage - here are the full details

George Herbert Walker - 23 - boatman - illegitimate
Ada Byfield - 22 - father Charles (living) occ carriage fitter

Witnesses Charles Byfield & Emily Jones
hi can you help me I'm trying to find the birth year of my great nan Sarah Ann Hambridge maiden name was Thompson and I'm trying to find the birth year of my great grandfather William Hambridge if ok some help it will be appreciated.

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
I have barge people in my family and I have found them on all census  at various parts of the canals and basins but they always seem to have returned to their base for the children's baptism, one mother had 14 children all born on a barge, I am sure they will be listed on the census

Louisa Maud
hi can I ask where

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Emily Walker/Morris remarried as a widow in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She gives her father as James Walker deceased occ Boatman. The Stratfull family are in the 1911 census including Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901). She was born around 1862 in Brinklow. They are living at Buckby Wharf.
Isobel
hi can I ask who was Emily first husband and did they have kids together and what was her mother's name.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 07 September 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Emily Walker/Morris remarried as a widow in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She gives her father as James Walker deceased occ Boatman. The Stratfull family are in the 1911 census including Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901). She was born around 1862 in Brinklow. They are living at Buckby Wharf.
Isobel
hi can I ask who was Emily first husband and did they have kids together and what was her mother's name.
  Kirsty about 3/4 years ago I gave you a lot of info & contacts on our share Hambrige boat people in Coventry & Brentford  amongst that info was this  on may 30th 1910 at the church in Long  Buckby  William Harvy Stratfull a 40 year old bachelor  occupation Labourer  a resident of Whilton son of Charles Stratfull a Lock Keeper married Emily ann Morris a 48 year old widow from Buckby Wharf daughter of James Walker a deceased Boat man both signed their names but the whitness names where not readable due to damage on the page I even sent you a picture of the church .

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 07 September 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Isobel
  Kirsty about 3/4 years ago I gave you a lot of info & contacts on our share Hambrige boat people in Coventry & Brentford  amongst that info was this  on may 30th 1910 at the church in Long  Buckby  William Harvy Stratfull a 40 year old bachelor  occupation Labourer  a resident of Whilton son of Charles Stratfull a Lock Keeper married Emily ann Morris a 48 year old widow from Buckby Wharf daughter of James Walker a deceased Boat man both signed their names but the whitness names where not readable due to damage on the page I even sent you a picture of the church .

hi if you have the picture of the church that be wicked just send it to (*) and if you have the name of Emilys first husband I be very grateful thank you

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 07 September 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Isobel

George Herbert Walker was baptised in 1886 in Brinklow, Warwickshire. This provides the information that his mother was Emily Walker, a single woman. No father is named.
1881 census for Brinklow has an Emily Walker age 18, daughter of James and Mary Ann Walker. She is likely to be the mother of George Herbert Walker.
In 1891 George  is living in Stockton, Warwickshire with his mother Emily and a sister called Rose ( born as Rose Morris with mmn Walker in Brinklow in  1888). Emily, George and Rose all have the surname Morris and Emily indicates that she is married, but her husband is not present.
In 1901 Emily ( still using the name Morris and claiming to be married) is living in Brinklow. Rose and George are not with her but she has three other children - Charles age 6, Lily age 1 and an unnamed infant. The births of all these children are registered as Morris with mmn Walker. No husband is present.
There is no record of a marriage between Emily and someone called Morris and it is likely they were never married. The only clue to the name of Mr Morris comes from the 1910 marriage certificate of daughter Rose, which names her father as Charles Morris, Boatman ( deceased).
Emily married in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She calls herself a widow and married under the name Morris. She gives her father as James Walker,  Boatman (deceased) The family are at Buckby Wharf, Northants in the 1911 census. William Harry and Emily have surname Stratfull ( married one year) There are four Morris children living with them - Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901) plus Ethel born 1903 and Leonard born 1905. The latter two children are also recorded as surname Morris mmn Walker.
So to summarise, Emily Walker appears to have had seven children
George Herbert Walker (father unknown)
Rose ( father Charles Morris)
Charles ( father probably Charles Morris)
Lilian Mary (Lily)( father probably Charles Morris)
Blanche Elizabeth ( father probably Charles Morris)
Ethel ( father probably Charles Morris)
Leonard ( father probably Charles Morris)
It appears unlikely that Emily was actually ever married to Charles Morris.

Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Isobel

George Herbert Walker was baptised in 1886 in Brinklow, Warwickshire. This provides the information that his mother was Emily Walker, a single woman. No father is named.
1881 census for Brinklow has an Emily Walker age 18, daughter of James and Mary Ann Walker. She is likely to be the mother of George Herbert Walker.
In 1891 George  is living in Stockton, Warwickshire with his mother Emily and a sister called Rose ( born as Rose Morris with mmn Walker in Brinklow in  1888). Emily, George and Rose all have the surname Morris and Emily indicates that she is married, but her husband is not present.
In 1901 Emily ( still using the name Morris and claiming to be married) is living in Brinklow. Rose and George are not with her but she has three other children - Charles age 6, Lily age 1 and an unnamed infant. The births of all these children are registered as Morris with mmn Walker. No husband is present.
There is no record of a marriage between Emily and someone called Morris and it is likely they were never married. The only clue to the name of Mr Morris comes from the 1910 marriage certificate of daughter Rose, which names her father as Charles Morris, Boatman ( deceased).
Emily married in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She calls herself a widow and married under the name Morris. She gives her father as James Walker,  Boatman (deceased) The family are at Buckby Wharf, Northants in the 1911 census. William Harry and Emily have surname Stratfull ( married one year) There are four Morris children living with them - Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901) plus Ethel born 1903 and Leonard born 1905. The latter two children are also recorded as surname Morris mmn Walker.

Isobel
thank you so much. Can I ask where was Charles walker and Mary born and married at and did they have any other children other then Emily

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 10 September 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
Isobel

Isobel
thank you so much. Can I ask where was Charles walker and Mary born and married at and did they have any other children other then Emily
hi is there anyway that the Charles Morris could of been my great grandfather dad

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 10 September 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
I assume you mean James ( not Charles) Walker and Mary Ann.
Emily Ann Walker was born in 1863 in Brinklow. As far as I can see from census returns she was one of 12 children of James Walker and Mary Ann nee Gresley/Greasley. James Walker married Mary Ann Gresley on 16th December 1861 at Bordesley St Andrew, Warwickshire ( certificate viewable on Ancestry).He was age 32 and his occupation was Boatman ( although he appears as a Labourer on some of the census returns). His father was James Walker, a Tallow Maker. Mary Ann was 21, the daughter of Joseph Gresley, a Labourer.
Siblings of Emily were -
James born 1860 with surname Greasley ( pre marriage)
Emily Ann born 1863
Alice born 1864
George born 1866 died 1870
Lizzy born 1868 ( seems also to have been known as Lucy and Elizabeth)
Sarah Ann born 1870
Frederick born 1871 died 1872
Annie 1872
Edward 1874
Harry born 1875 died 1876
Beatrice Louisa 1876
Herbert 1878

James Walker was born about 1829 in Brinklow and Mary Ann Walker nee Gresley was born 1839/40 also in Brinklow.

Regarding your question about the possibility of Charles Morris being the father of George Herbert Walker. It is possible, but unfortunately I’m not sure how you would prove this conclusively as there is no father’s name  on his birth or baptism.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)