Author Topic: Hambridge walker and Thompson canal people.  (Read 2966 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Hambridge walker and Thompson canal people.
« Reply #72 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
I was looking to see what happened to Rose Morris ( b1888) and have just found her living with her father Charles Morris in 1901. They are onboard the canal boat Evelyn at Stoke on Trent. Charles was age 50 ( so born about 1851) and his place of birth is Stockton Brook, Staffordshire. His occupation was Boatman (Barge).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Kirsty Jane Laghaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
I was looking to see what happened to Rose Morris ( b1888) and have just found her living with her father Charles Morris in 1901. They are onboard the canal boat Evelyn at Stoke on Trent. Charles was age 50 ( so born about 1851) and his place of birth is Stockton Brook, Staffordshire. His occupation was Boatman (Barge).
Isobel
did Emily ever live with her partner

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
They never appear together on the census, but that is only one day every ten years. There is no way of knowing what was happening on all the other days. Charles job as a canal boatman would obviously take him away from home a lot of the time and it may be that he was simply away working on each census  night. We certainly know that he was away on his boat in 1901, but the fact he had his daughter with him suggests that he was part of the family group.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Kirsty Jane Laghaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 14 September 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
They never appear together on the census, but that is only one day every ten years. There is no way of knowing what was happening on all the other days. Charles job as a canal boatman would obviously take him away from home a lot of the time and it may be that he was simply away working on each census  night. We certainly know that he was away on his boat in 1901, but the fact he had his daughter with him suggests that he was part of the family group.
my mum has told me that her dad Joseph Samuel Hambridge and my nan Hannah Walker use to live on the canal with there children who have passed away they was called Joseph William Hambridge Ron or Ronald Hambridge and my mum reckons my nan had a baby called Lenny Hambridge there is only my auntie left but she is loosing her mind a bit and my mum is the youngest as my nan had her when she was about 40 something

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at 1939 for parents Joseph and Hannah, possibly only one child might be listed, Joseph their first born

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes