Author Topic: Hambridge walker and Thompson canal people.  (Read 20870 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Hambridge walker and Thompson canal people.
« Reply #72 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
I was looking to see what happened to Rose Morris ( b1888) and have just found her living with her father Charles Morris in 1901. They are onboard the canal boat Evelyn at Stoke on Trent. Charles was age 50 ( so born about 1851) and his place of birth is Stockton Brook, Staffordshire. His occupation was Boatman (Barge).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
I was looking to see what happened to Rose Morris ( b1888) and have just found her living with her father Charles Morris in 1901. They are onboard the canal boat Evelyn at Stoke on Trent. Charles was age 50 ( so born about 1851) and his place of birth is Stockton Brook, Staffordshire. His occupation was Boatman (Barge).
Isobel
did Emily ever live with her partner

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
They never appear together on the census, but that is only one day every ten years. There is no way of knowing what was happening on all the other days. Charles job as a canal boatman would obviously take him away from home a lot of the time and it may be that he was simply away working on each census  night. We certainly know that he was away on his boat in 1901, but the fact he had his daughter with him suggests that he was part of the family group.

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 14 September 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
They never appear together on the census, but that is only one day every ten years. There is no way of knowing what was happening on all the other days. Charles job as a canal boatman would obviously take him away from home a lot of the time and it may be that he was simply away working on each census  night. We certainly know that he was away on his boat in 1901, but the fact he had his daughter with him suggests that he was part of the family group.
my mum has told me that her dad Joseph Samuel Hambridge and my nan Hannah Walker use to live on the canal with there children who have passed away they was called Joseph William Hambridge Ron or Ronald Hambridge and my mum reckons my nan had a baby called Lenny Hambridge there is only my auntie left but she is loosing her mind a bit and my mum is the youngest as my nan had her when she was about 40 something

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at 1939 for parents Joseph and Hannah, possibly only one child might be listed, Joseph their first born

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 29 September 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
Emily Walker/Morris remarried as a widow in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She gives her father as James Walker deceased occ Boatman. The Stratfull family are in the 1911 census including Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901). She was born around 1862 in Brinklow. They are living at Buckby Wharf.
Isobel
hi can I ask who was Emily first husband and did they have kids together and what was her mother's name.
hi do you no if Emily went back to walker or Morris and do you no the year and month William and Charles died. And do you no if Charles and Emily children ever married.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 29 September 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Walker was Emily’s maiden name. Can’t find an obvious death for Charles Morris ( presumably before 1910 when Emily remarried). William Henry Stratfull died in Daventry in 1940 (3b 268) and he was predeceased by Emily who died in Daventry in 1936 ( 3b 105).
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Only definite birth I can find for children of Emily is that of Rose Morris to Alfred Henry Collins in 1910. They married in Norton Northamptonshire on 9th May 1910. Her father is given as Charles Morris ( deceased). Rose and Alfred had at least two children as they are listed with them in 1939 - Charles J in 1917 and Ethel M in 1919. There are other possible Collins births with mmn Morris in the Daventry Reg district which you can view on FreeBMD. Ethel M appears to have married someone called Nolan in 1948. There is also a Raymond H Collins ( b 1930)  listed in 1939 whose mmn was Collins ( probably a grandchild of Rose and Albert).
Isobel

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 29 September 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Walker was Emily’s maiden name. Can’t find an obvious death for Charles Morris ( presumably before 1910 when Emily remarried). William Henry Stratfull died in Daventry in 1940 (3b 268) and he was predeceased by Emily who died in Daventry in 1936 ( 3b 105).
Isobel
I googled the meaning of predeceased so I'm just wondering does the word predeceased mean that William had a will and did William ever marry any body else other then Emily