Author Topic: DNA Testing  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DNA Testing
« on: Tuesday 21 November 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Any advice here would be appreciated.  My daughter has suggested that she buys me a DNA test as a Christmas present.  Now, I've wanted to do this for some time, but principally because there is some interesting 'darkness' in my maternal line and I would love to find out where it comes from.  So, the question is, what kind of DNA test would I need that would pick up my mitochondrial DNA, and where is it available?

Many thanks for any advice.

Kind regards,

GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 01:44 GMT (UK) »
GS, I think the trouble with an mtDNA test is that it is limited to the female only line - so, your mother, her mother, her mother etc etc. If the mystery you refer to relates to any of the males in your mother's line, then an mtDNA test won't pick it up.

You could take an autosomal test such as FTDNA's "Family finder" test, which should give you a good selection of matches within say two to four generations, from which you can try to find a paper trail connection. This is also one of the cheaper tests on the market. The trouble with this test is that both your father and mother's lines will be "mixed up" so you might find it difficult to determine whether any matches come from your maternal or paternal lines.

Others with more knowledge on the subject will be able to offer you more detailed advice.

One thing to note: it's extremely likely to just be me and my lack of comprehension, but I have only one proven match through my Familyfinder test, and that is a second cousin once removed who I had contact with prior to testing. With a couple of other similarly close matches we cannot find an obvious link.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information, Ruskie, very useful.  I sort of know the major genetic groups of my family: my father's roots were in Durham, with Irish and Norwegian ancestors.  My mother's line on both sides is Suffolk, with a bit of French input.

So I am thinking that the Family-Finder test you mention might be quite good, if it identifies something I don't already know.

Thanks very much for your help.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I've just had an ancestry email, they are doing a sale on theirs which brings it in at less than the ftdna one I believe.  Possibly not of major consideration if it's to be a pressie but you can transfer anc results to ftdna but not the other way round.  I did ftdna a couple of years back and am currentlly awaiting anc results.  It's easy to get hooked (but then we know all about that anyway don't we  ;D)

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Jane, useful info there.  Must check out the Ancestry offer!

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
These are my experiences with DNA testing, (for what they're worth).

Last Christmas my daughter-in-law bought me an Ancestry DNA Test kit.  I uploaded the test results onto GEDMatch and Family Tree DNA, (both free).

So far I have messaged 22 of my “close” matches and received replies from 13 of them.

Of those 13 responses, in 4 cases we share a common Ancestor, as proven by my “paper trail”.

There may be others, but I do not currently have the paper trail proof.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I'd recommend an autosomal test over a maternal mitochondrial DNA test.

Believe me, this could keep you engrossed for months, and I know you won't be one of those annoying close matches that clams up.

#7 on my brother's list at one company (he was given the test - the rest of us tested elsewhere) is very keen on knowing my brother's ancestral lines and hasn't given a single ounce of info in return.

Nope - she's never heard of them she says.  I suggest she gives me some surnames and locations of her ancestors to see whether I recognise anyone or anywhere.  Nope.  Gone silent.   And I hadn't even mentioned a rather close "dead end" thanks to an unknown father not so far back.  My hunch is that he had ancestors from the Donegal/Tyrone border as there's no other obvious connection to the matches from this region.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
DNA is nowhere near as accurate as some claim and can throw up many problems including the one here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783003.new#new

I would suggest reading (if not already done) some of the many many posts in the DNA testing board. It will answer some of your questions and show you some of the problems you may encounter

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much indeed, TinaRoyal, Hurworth and davidft for your advice.  It seems I need to do quite a bit of homework before I get my daughter to commit her hard-earned money on this!  I am most grateful to everyone who has offered me advice, very much appreciated.

Kind regards
GS