Author Topic: Where can I find crew lists for the Royal Navy?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where can I find crew lists for the Royal Navy?
« on: Wednesday 22 November 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of someone who I think must be one of my ancestors but I have no idea who he is.  The people on the photographs forum very kindly helped.  I've narrowed it down to this. 
The man was a Royal Navy petty officer serving on the HMS Tamar.  The date would have been late nineteenth century and up to 1902.  He had thirteen years service and three good conduct stripes.
I'd like to know where I can find any crew lists for the HMS Tamar so that I can see who the petty officers were around those dates. Can anyone help please?

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find crew lists for the Royal Navy?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out the Naval-history net page?

http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-80-HMS_Tamar.htm
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'll have a look at those.

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
The problem is I don't have a name to look up, only the ship's name.  I've seen a crew list somewhere but I can't remember which site it was on.  I was hoping that I might come across a name that I recognise amongst the petty officers.