Author Topic: Robert Robertson Lesamhagow and Cockburnspath  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Mootz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Robertson Lesamhagow and Cockburnspath
« on: Wednesday 22 November 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm looking for a ROBERT ROBERTSON, born on abt 1809, in
Cockburnspath, berwickshire (this birth place was mentioned on Census forms).
I have his marriage to Agnes Gilchrist, 1834, and their children, all of of which was in Lesmahagow, Lanark.
I'm stuck on locating any trace of his birth record or parents. There is no death cert either.

There is also the curious thing of him being listed in the 1881 census as an inmate in Motherwell poorhouse, even though his wife was still alive and living with their son. I think this is him as the birth date and location match.

If anyone can point me where to look, that would be great,

Thanks,

John M

Moore, Simpson, Tait, Robertson, Gilchrist, Kelly, Ferguson, Egan, Meikle, Holland, Dixon

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Robertson Lesamhagow and Cockburnspath
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople.

It's the most comprehensive record set for Scotland.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Mootz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pauline.
I've been through SP and found nothing.
Same with Ancestry.
Moore, Simpson, Tait, Robertson, Gilchrist, Kelly, Ferguson, Egan, Meikle, Holland, Dixon

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Cambusnethan/Cambusnethan1881.shtml#Inmates
Robert Robertson age 71 widow formerly gardner domestic serv , born Cockburnpath Berwick.

What are the details for Agnes on the 1881 Census ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Agnes Robertson is listed on her own in 1881 at Aulton Feus, Lesmahagow. She is age 69, born Lesmahagow, occ Peddlar. According to FindMyPast she is ' married'. Robert Robertson on the workhouse census record is shown as a widower! By 1891 Agnes is living with a married son and is described as a widow. She appears to have died in Lesmahagow in 1895.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline borclaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 04:24 BST (UK) »
There are some admission records for Robert Robertson at the Motherwell Poorhouse in 1880 and 1885 that give some clues to what was going on between Robert and his wife Agnes nee Gilchrist. I've appended these at the end of this reply. My interpretation is that Robert and Agnes had become estranged for whatever reason and were living separately by about 1880.

These records fine tune Robert's place of origin as "Oldhamstocks near Cockburnspath".

In the 1885 admission Robert is claiming to be a widower, as in the 1881 census record. He also claimed "... since wife (Agnes Gilchrist) died 8 years ago in Lesmahagow".

There was in fact another Agnes Gilchrist who died in Lesmahagow 8 years before. This Agnes, who died 17 April 1877 was the daughter of Alexander Bryce and Elizabeth Weir and wife of John Robertson.

I wonder if Robert knew about this other Agnes Robertson when he concocted his story? If he had been truthful the Poorhouse would probably want to know why he couldn't live with his wife instead of being a charge on the parish.

My guess is that Robert and Agnes had become estranged and that Robert moved around a bit - perhaps spending time with one or other of his children, perhaps sleeping rough in warmer weather and going to the Poorhouse when he didn't have other options.

Anyway, in 1885 he would have been pushing 80 and had chronic bronchitis. I doubt he lasted much longer and probably died in the Poorhouse. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a death registration for him.

Agnes died 3 July 1895 at Blackwood, Lesmahagow. The 1891 census shows that she was then living with her son John and his family . Her son John was the informant for her death registration.

I am a descendant of Robert and Agnes via their daughter Marion and am happy to exchange info about this family with others. You can find my email address at the bottom of any page of my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/borclaud/index.html

Regards

Robert  (transcription follows)
Motherwell Poorhouse Register Entries

1. This set of register entries don't give the year but the second confirm it was 1880
135 (Register entry no ?)
5h. (5 PM ?)
16th Feb
Robert Robertson
No home
Old Hamstock (Place of birth?)
No home
Widower
73 (age)
Labourer (occupation)
Protestant (religion)
(Illegible)
Parents John Robertson, Weaver & Margaret Smellie both dead. This man was sent from Irvine today with order to admit him to Cambusnethan Combination Poor-house - his settlement is in Lesmahagow, resided there mostly since 1822.
Feb
16th
Paid bus to Motherwell
Sent to Poor house (illegible initials)

2. This set of register entries relate to 1885
238 (Register entry no. ?)
3.35 PM 6 May
Robert Robertson
No fixed place (Residence)
Old Hamstock, Cockburnspath
1885 No home (Year and date of Inspector's Visit to Applicant's Home)
Widower (Condition)
80 (Age)
Labourer (Occupation)
Wholly Ch. bronchitis (Wholly or Partly Disabled)
Parents John Robertson, Miller and Margaret Smellie both dead.

Family
Marion 50 mard to Robert Coulter, 9 chiln (8 girls & a boy) Strathaven
John 46 miner, mard 6 or 7 chiln, Blackwood Kirkmuirhill
Robert 42 miner, mard 6 chiln Hamilton
Isabella 44 mard to ? Aird, miner 5 chiln Auchenheath
Daniel 40 miner, mard 6 chiln Southfield Lesmahagow
William 38 "      "   "  "    Kirkmuirhill

Residences: No home  6 months
prior Woodend 3 years
"     Muldron 2 months
"     Loangloam, Greengairs, Airdrie a few months in each.
prior cannot detail. Not more than 6 months in any place since wife (Agnes Gilchrist) died 8 years ago in Lesmahagow prior Kipehill Lesmahagow 9 years. was chargeable there 16th Febry 1880, an admitted pauper on Lesmahagow at that time. got 2/- 25th & 1/- 27th ult. from Mr. Scott Lesmahagow.

1885 May 6th
Sent to Poorhouse per bus (How disposed of by Inspector)
Admitted 2.6.85 (How disposed of by Parochial Board)