Author Topic: William Ainslie, East India Co. army and Coldstream Guards  (Read 536 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Ainslie, East India Co. army and Coldstream Guards
« on: Wednesday 22 November 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
William was born in Kendal in 1791 and was at Haileybury College in 1806, the normal course for those intended for service in India. He was given a Cadetship and seems to have served in the 25th Madras Native Infantry in the rank of Ensign fror about two years.

A newspaper notice of his death in March 1810 referred to him as an Ensign in the Coldstream Guards, and this is confirmed by an online source, 'Origin and Services of the Coldstream Guards, Volume 2,' D. Mackinnon, 1833, in which his appointment as Ensign is given as 25 August 1809.

I have not been able to find an online Army List for 1809/10 where more might be revealed.  Do any exist?  Can anyone suggest other sources of information for  this change of military career?

I have relevant material from FindMyPast on his cadetship and from the India Office library's summary of his career there.

Thanks for looking!
Ainslie

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Ainslie, East India Co. army and Coldstream Guards
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Gazetted 29 August 1809 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16292/page/1366

(bottom of column 2)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ainslie, East India Co. army and Coldstream Guards
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ
I had searched for that entry, but was defeated by the LG's system, though I have had much success at other times.  Many thanks indeed.
A