Author Topic: Have I found him?  (Read 3284 times)

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have I found him?
« on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Some time ago, I posted a message about John Sandilands - Link here -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=332810.msg2127413#msg2127413

I have found  a John Sandilands on the 1939 Register living at 220 Arlington Road, St. Pancras, London.  The date of birth (27 Feb 1880) is correct, so I am assuming that this is the right one. The record stated he was married, but he is the only occupant of the address.

Trying to move it a little further, I started looking for death records, but the only one I could find has the age at death as 71.  (Unfortunately, the death is before the birth date was recorded on the death certificate/index)

I have received today a copy of the death certificate for this individual.

Under occupation there is an address of 38 Camden Road, St. Pancras, not the occupation, which might have been helpful.  Date of death is 15 September 1960.

The description of the informant is: " F A Leverson, causing the body to be buried. 163 York Way, N7."

Have I found him?  I can't be sure.  Would appreciate your ideas/help on this.  It is a family brick wall - that is, I don't think his brother and sisters ever knew what had happened to him.  Would just so love to solve the mystery.

FS

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Have I found him?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I have found  a John Sandilands on the 1939 Register living at 220 Arlington Road, St. Pancras, London.  The date of birth (27 Feb 1880) is correct, so I am assuming that this is the right one. The record stated he was married, but he is the only occupant of the address.

Have you seen the original page or are you working from a transcript
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
You say he's the only occupant of the address in the 1939 entry you have found - but 220 Arlington Rd was/is a large hostel in Camden known as Arlington House:

http://www.ravishlondon.com/items/%28515%29.html
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I think the surname of the informant is quite likely actually Leverton, as 163 York Way is the address of one of the branches of the old established firm of funeral directors Leverton & Sons.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

I was using the system at my library - and can't remember if I was using the transcript only.  There was a problem with viewing the actual document one of the days I was working there.

Interesting that it was a hostel.  May suggest that there was a Mrs Sandilands, but elsewhere!

Wasn't sure if it is Leverson or Leverton. Seems logical that it is Leverton, if they were the local funeral directors.

FS

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch,

Have you been able to find an obit for him?

You could write to the local cemeteries and the funeral home(s) to ask if they have any info on file. Sometimes funeral home info can include date of birth, parents' names and spouse's name.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I think the surname of the informant is quite likely actually Leverton, as 163 York Way is the address of one of the branches of the old established firm of funeral directors Leverton & Sons.

Various directories show Frank Arthur Leverton, Funeral Director/Undertaker at this address until the 1970's.

I rest my case  ;D

(I have vivid memories of another member of this dynasty of funeral directors stopping all the seething traffic on Prince Albert Road by Regent's Park, with an imperious flourish of his cane, in order to let my father-in-law's funeral cortege onto the road from a side street  ;D )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
H appears to be living at 36, Camden Road, Pancras (not 38) in the electoral rolls from around 1949, possibly before, up to1959.
He is in a household with surnames, variously through the years, Newton, Folkes, Burgess, Anley, Jameson and Woodward.
He may just be a lodger and the other names unconnected.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate is definitely 38, but I am working on the idea that the undertaker registered the death, so information may not be accurate. If this is my man, then the age at death is not right anyway.
I have not come across this situation before - how common was it for the undertaker to register the death?

So far, have not found an obituary, but there would not necessarily be one for a fairly ordinary man (?)

Reasoning on the 1939" I am confident that this is the right person (dob is correct) he has not moved far from there for subsequent electoral rolls.  The area seems to have been redeveloped over the years, some of the houses now appear to be flats.

I do need to get back to the library to look at the original document for the 1939. Arlington House is an interesting property.

If anyone has any other ideas how I should continue my research I would be grateful.  This man has evaded me for many years - and as I mentioned earlier, I don't know if his siblings ever knew what happened to him.  (Raises the question, why did he end up so far away from his roots, when the others were in close contact with each other until they died?)

FS