Author Topic: Have I found him?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have I found him?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 November 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Deceased Online has a record for the 19 September 1960 burial of John Sandilands at St Pancras Cemetery. Downloads available are grave details (£1.50) and burial register scan (£2.00).

The grave includes 12 other burials. All evidence points towards this man not being in contact with his family, but for the minimal expense it's probably worth having a look at the register scan.

Added: I swim at the pool five mins up the road from this cemetery, so if you get the plot number I'm happy to check it out. Probably little to see if it's a communal plot, but you never know.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
He is on electoral roll at 220 Arlington Rd in 1947 but at 36 Camden Rd in 1948
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Deceased Online has a record for the 19 September 1960 burial of John Sandilands at St Pancras Cemetery. Downloads available are grave details (£1.50) and burial register scan (£2.00).

The grave includes 12 other burials. All evidence points towards this man not being in contact with his family, but for the minimal expense it's probably worth having a look at the register scan.

Added: I swim at the pool five mins up the road from this cemetery, so if you get the plot number I'm happy to check it out. Probably little to see if it's a communal plot, but you never know.

Thank you for your kind offer.  You are a lot nearer than my sister in Finchley, so would be grateful for your input  if convenient. 

You should have received a reference from another Rootschatter who has looked up the grave reference,

Look forward to hearing from you.

FS

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
He is on electoral roll at 220 Arlington Rd in 1947 but at 36 Camden Rd in 1948

This really narrows things down - thank you.

Presume no reference to a wife.  I need to get to my local library to check the details on the pre war listing. Fairly sure he is down as married.

FS

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Worth exploring further (assuming the A in your John's names does stand for Andrew)

John Sandilands on electoral role 1914 as lodger in Lambeth

Marriage Lambeth Mar 1918  John A Sandilands to Mabel E Linthorn

A John Andrew  Sandilands appears on electoral registers with Mabel Ethelinda Sandilands Lowth Rd Camberwell from 1920 - 23

John Andrew Sandilands in house of multiple occupation 25 Pindar St Shoreditch in 1928, no Mabel

Joan Sandilands born Wandsworth 1923 mothers maiden-name Linthorn died Surbiton 2014

Mabel Ethelinda Sandilands in Southwark 1924 and 1929 no John

Mabel E Sandilands and a Joan Sandilands in Putney 1945-1951

A Mabel E Sandilands dies in Hastings age 79 in 1963 - looks like this is another lady
Mabel E Sandilands dies Wandsworth 1952 age 66

If this is your John looks as if he split up from his wife
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I need to get to my local library to check the details on the pre war listing. Fairly sure he is down as married.

You can check that out using the free index search to the 1939 on FindMyPast. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/1939-register
Using this shows that he was married.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I suspect the initial A is for Andrew.  I say "suspect" because that was not his given name, he is registered as "John Sandiland".  His father was Andrew.
He does appear to have adopted a second name on the 1911.

Intrigued to know where you found the marriage record - I had (I thought!) looked at every John Sandilands including variations.

Gives me another line of search - thank you.

FS

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I need to get to my local library to check the details on the pre war listing. Fairly sure he is down as married.

You can check that out using the free index search to the 1939 on FindMyPast. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/1939-register

It's coming up as household locked.  However, I do know I got further than this at the library.  I was questioned whether I was working from the transcription, or the original document, and since there was a problem with the access to FindMyPast that day I couldn't be sure whether I had only looked at the transcription.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »

It's coming up as household locked.  However, I do know I got further than this at the library.  I was questioned whether I was working from the transcription, or the original document, and since there was a problem with the access to FindMyPast that day I couldn't be sure whether I had only looked at the transcription.

I appreciate that it comes up with 'household locked' if you have no subscription.

But my point was that if you search for a 'single' John Sandilands at Arlington Road, using the link I gave, you get no hits.

If you search for a 'married' John Sandilands at Arlington Road you get one hit which you know is your man.

Therefore he must have been married.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk