Author Topic: Latin help please - Marriage Bond George Hood & Maudlin Spencer, Scarbro' 1731  (Read 463 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Latin help please - Marriage Bond George Hood & Maudlin Spencer, Scarbro' 1731
« on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Please can you assist with an exact Latin translation to English? Marriage Bond of George Hood & Maudlin Spencer of Scarborough in the County of York 1731.

At the bottom, both George Hood and then John Hood underneath put their marks on the front

Thank you, Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin help please - Marriage Bond George Hood & Maudlin Spencer, Scarbro' 1731
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Let all men know by these presents that we, George Hood of Scarborough in the county of York, mariner, and John Hood of Scarborough aforesaid, mariner, ...

reverse
Memorandum That on the 12th day of the month of January 1731* a licence was issued, granted to the minister or curate of the parish church of Scarborough in the diocese of York, to solemnize a marriage between George Hood of the parish of Scarborough in the diocese of York, mariner, aged 24 years, and Maudlin Spencer of Scarborough aforesaid, aged 22 years, spinster, in so far as etc., the security required for that matter being first provided by the said George Hood on oath before me, Theophilus Garancieres, Rural Dean

* = 1732 in the modern calendar

(His being a mariner may explain why they married by licence, since mariners were often not in port long enough for banns to be read.)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Latin help please - Marriage Bond George Hood & Maudlin Spencer, Scarbro' 1731
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Bookbox for the translation.