Author Topic: Parents of Bridget Mary Josephine Higham nee Sexton born Ennystmon in 1787  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Bridget Fowkes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Bridget Mary Josephine Higham nee Sexton born Ennystmon in 1787
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I missed typed her year of birth it was 1878.   I have the details of my grandfather William James Higham but not my grandmother, until she appears in his army paybook for the marriage at the Curragh on 24/11/1897.  His next posting was Gibraltar where my mother their first child was born on 8/12/1898.  I also have information about her from English 1911 census, by which time she was a widow, aged 29 working as a handsower for the Army in London.   My grandfather died suddenly in 1907.   She states on the census that her place of birth was Ennistymon.  I have been searching family history for several years now trying to trace her birth and marriage certificates.   I never knew her as died of cancer five years before I was born.
Many years ago, when I was about 12 my parents took me to Southern Ireland for a holiday.   We went to Ennistymon and asked about my grandmother’s family, but Unfortunately non of us wrote down the infirmation we were given, we did find that my mother had a cousin living in Limerick, she was married to a policeman, they had a son and a daughter.   We actually found them, but I cannot find their address now, but This was in the 1950’s.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The marriage is correct and I'm pretty sure Bridget's birth is correct as it is an original record. John and Anne's marriage was in Ennistymon but Bridget's baptism was in Cragaknock, she may have been born in Ennistymon.   Anne Marinan was born 1829 and died in 1913 Kilrush.  looks like Bridget had a brothers and sisters....      Daniel Sexton, b 27 Feb 1869, Kilrush
                                       Thomas Sexton, b 28 Mar 1873, Kilrush
                                       Anne Sexton, b 07 Nov 1874, Kilrush
                                       Joseph Sexton, b 20 Mar 1878, Kilrush
                                       Mary Sexton, b 08 Aug 1876, Kilrush

There could be more but the web site crashed, I'll look again later.

Added.   I think that is all.

Offline Bridget Fowkes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I will try to find the link to purchase the certificates.   You have taken me further in two days than I’ve managed in the last two years.   I have a letter from my mother’s cousin who lived in Limerick, but the address is rather faded, in fact I have a lot of letters from Grandfather to my Grandmother when she was staying in Heyford in Northamptonshire with my mother and her father in law and he was in S.Africa in the Boer War.
My grandmother after she was widowed and living in London joined the suffragettes, but because she had two daughters dependent on her she never took actions that may have caused her to be arrested.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Birth Certs are free and online
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
birth registration started 1864

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think there maybe more children of John and Anne as there are a few gaps in the birth years, I'm surprised that there is not a John. I will have another look. Have sent you a PM.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 November 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Just found another daughter of John and Anne...

Catherine Sexton. 02 July 1871. Kilrush.

Offline Bridget Fowkes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Bridget Mary Josephine Higham nee Sexton born Ennystmon in 1878
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the help with tracing my maternal grandparent’s marriage cerificate.   In the district of NAAS, at Curragh Army Camp, this confirms her father was John Sexton on 24/11/1897.

Offline Bridget Fowkes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I missed typed her year of birth it was 1878.   I have the details of my grandfather William James Higham but not my grandmother, until she appears in his army paybook for the marriage at the Curragh on 24/11/1897.  His next posting was Gibraltar where my mother their first child was born on 8/12/1898.  I also have information about her from English 1911 census, by which time she was a widow, aged 29 working as a handsower for the Army in London.   My grandfather died suddenly in 1907.   She states on the census that her place of birth was Ennistymon.  I have been searching family history for several years now trying to trace her birth and marriage certificates.   I never knew her as died of cancer five years before I was born.
Many years ago, when I was about 12 my parents took me to Southern Ireland for a holiday.   We went to Ennistymon and asked about my grandmother’s family, but Unfortunately non of us wrote down the infirmation we were given, we did find that my mother had a cousin living in Limerick, she was married to a policeman, they had a son and a daughter.   We actually found them, but I cannot find their address now, but This was in the 1950’s.

Offline Bridget Fowkes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I will try to find the link to purchase the certificates.   You have taken me further in two days than I’ve managed in the last two years.   I have a letter from my mother’s cousin who lived in Limerick, but the address is rather faded, in fact I have a lot of letters from Grandfather to my Grandmother when she was staying in Heyford in Northamptonshire with my mother and her father in law and he was in S.Africa in the Boer War.
My grandmother after she was widowed and living in London joined the suffragettes, but because she had two daughters dependent on her she never took actions that may have caused her to be arrested.