Author Topic: James Magee, son of Felix Magee  (Read 2088 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Magee, son of Felix Magee
« on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
My 2 x Great Grandfather was James Magee.  I only have proof of his birth date from his marriage certificate and death certificate.  He was married to Elizabeth O'Connell on 19 November 1864 in Secunderabad, India whilst serving as a Quarter Master Sergeant in B Battery, D Brigade of the Royal Horse Artillery.  His father's name is given as Felix Magee.

He and Elizabeth had 5 children, 4 of them born in India, Teresa Jane, Annie (my Gt Grandmother), James Felix and Felix (both died in infancy) and Winifred Hannah born in Woolwich in 1873 when the family had returned from India. 
James Magee committed suicide on November 25 1873, two weeks after Winifred's birth whilst still a serving soldier.  I don't suppose we will ever know why.

From his name I have always assumed he was from Northern Ireland but have never found any proof.  Recently I discovered a James McGee (the name was often spelt in this alternative way) baptised in Dromore, Armagh, parents Felix and Margaret McGee.  I also found a marriage for Felix Magee and Margaret Caulfield on 28 April 1831 also in Dromore. 

My problem is that the baptism is in 1832, but James' age on his marriage certificate is 28, which tallies with his age of 37 on his death certificate.  That would have made his dob 1836, not 1832. 
I have the original marriage certificate so I know there is no transcription error. 

I would dearly love to have proof of his date and place of birth so help would be gratefully received.  I have posted about James on the India and Military sections some time ago.
Thank you
Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Magee, son of Felix Magee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Are his army service records available for perusal?  Perhaps there may be more info in them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Have a read through your old topics to refresh your memory as to what you've already asked and what answers were given.
Royal Horse Artillery, Crimea (wrong James Magee)
James Magee, Royal Horse Artillery (no replies)
James Magee A Brigade RHA (you were advised that his service records would have been destroyed)

The most likely source of inquest details will probably be newspaper reports.

My problem is that the baptism is in 1832, but James' age on his marriage certificate is 28, which tallies with his age of 37 on his death certificate.  That would have made his dob 1836, not 1832. 
I have the original marriage certificate so I know there is no transcription error.

Who is the informant on the death registration? was it his widow? if he said he was 28 when he married then she would have thought he was 37 when he died. People weren't really that concerned with exact ages and dates of birth.
Other possibilities are that the parents had an early son named James and your James' baptism wasn't recorded or that the record you are looking for doesn't survive or is not online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply.  There are a few references to him during his time in India but I have not been able to trace his military records as such.  I will try again as I know new records are coming on line all the time. 
His death certificate shows that information was received from the Coroner for Kent following an inquest held on 28 November 1873. 
Presumably he supplied the information for his marriage certificate with ties in. 
Unfortunately, the Indian marriage certificates do not give a "rank or profession of father" column as I think the Felix Magee whose marriage record I found was a Baker.
As the only record I have found in Northern Ireland for James is a baptism, does that mean that, like in England, there was no compulsory registration of births prior to 1837?
Thanks again for your help.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864. Again, it is unlikely that his military records still survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 December 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I was just flicking through the subject of royal horse artillery and came across this post.  I don’t know if this is if any help but I had a similar struggle trying to find information on my ancestor Jospeh Wade I knew by the marriages of his children that he was a colour sergeant with the 60th Royal Rifles and I knew his son had also enlisted in Dublin as a 14 year old.  I found Joseph’s death and burial in Arbor Hill Military cemetery but could find none of his service records I was then advised if he had died in service then back then his records would have been destroyed so I gave up all hope of finding anything more on him.  Until someone suggested muster rolls.  I paid a really helpful researcher to spend two hours at Kew for me and low and behold she found him!  This unlocked quite a lot of information that I never thought I would find.

Might be worth a shot in your situation.
Regards
Deb