Author Topic: David John Bowen born about 1801  (Read 1605 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: David John Bowen born about 1801
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
The GRO (General Register Office) is where you can order certificates. See here for FAQ
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#FamilyHistory
(Of course, records only started in 1837, so you won't find David and Winifred's marriage there.)

Yours does sound like a tricky problem though, as you don't know for certain what Winifred's father's name was - or is it on the record you have?

The death cert may contain occupation and usual place of residence, and the name of the informant may be useful to you in establishing whether you have the correct David BOWEN. If you don't mind spending the $s then it's probably worth the gamble, but it's up to you.  ;)

Maybe someone might have some other ideas?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Purchasing the death certificate might not reveal as much information, UK death certs not providing as much info as Australian ones.  ;)

Good work! but...I'm going to rephrase that  ;D...

In the UK, English & Welsh death certs. don't give has much info. as Scottish death certs. which give status married/widowed, give both previous husband/wife's names if previously married (even if the widow(er) is not the informant) as well as both parents names with father's occ. & mother's m/s (providing the informant knew those details) & sometimes gives the address of the informant.

Scottish certs. are among of the best in the world.

However, had I not bought my 3 x g g/father's English death cert. hoping to discover if he was a widower on death (it neither stated married/widowed) or who he was married to, I would never have known his daughter was married or who to as her forename has many variants & their surname has many variants i.e. I could have been searching forever so there are advantages too  :D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 02:57 GMT (UK) »
I stand corrected  ;D ;D, not having any Scottish ancestors I forget their certs are much more detailed!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Maddy...

It just seemed a good idea to add that in as sometimes people are unaware of just how great Scottish certs. are & I'm so glad  :P

I'm in a pickle right now with an English marriage & birth of their child but I can't get the m/s of the mother on the marriage index (of who I think it is) & the m/s of the mother (on the birth index) to tally...very confusing  ::)

Basically, I could buy 6 Scottish certs. for the same price as 1 English with no guarantee it's correct.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maddy and Annie.  I think I am going to have to go back to the start of my research and go through everything and compare things and go from there.  Then maybe get a cert or two to confirm.  Yes the Scottish and Australian ones have so much more useful information on them, but hopefully I will find the answer to this riddle.
It's only now I realise that I should have paid more attention in Geography at school, and perhaps would have had a better idea about the layout etc of England, in which I have none. lol
Good luck with your pickle Annie,
and thank you both again.
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sean,
I would definitely get that M/C if I was you. Being in Australia too I have purchased a couple of English Certs that really helped me with my Tree.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 December 17 06:43 GMT (UK) »
'Hi Trish,
I think I am going to have to get the M/C atleast and see where that leads.  Its so much easier researching scottish lines.

Sean
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 December 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Let us know the outcome of the Cert when you get it :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Will do.  I have emailed Bristol Archives to go through the process of getting a copy.