Author Topic: On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District  (Read 5154 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that you can currently (under a pilot scheme) get uncertified pdf copies of birth and death records for £6 each from the GRO online?  www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Cheaper than the £9.25 for a certificate - it will provide exactly the same information, and certification isn't necessary for family history purposes.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Two of their children - Gladys Maud (1908) and Harold John (1904) were registered as Benoit but later additions made to birth index with both surnames Codling and Nutkins. The additions have an A on the end, for Harold, the number is the same as the original reference, for Gladys it is slightly different. A later child Elsie Blanche (1910) is only registered as Nutkins. This seems to correspond with deciding to make name change official around 1909

As far as I am aware, the first three children were all registered as BENOIT, it was only after the name change, as you have indicated, that the final two children were registered from birth as NUTKINS. The children were:

Henry Louis BENOIT (1902-1903)

Harold John BENOIT (1904-1988)

Gladys Maude BENOIT (1908-1951)

Children born after the name-change in 1909 were given the name NUTKINS from birth, namely:

Elsie Blanche NUTKINS (1910-1943)

Stanley Frederick NUTKINS (1912-1992)

Regards,

Alan

FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that you can currently (under a pilot scheme) get uncertified pdf copies of birth and death records for £6 each from the GRO online?  www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Cheaper than the £9.25 for a certificate - it will provide exactly the same information, and certification isn't necessary for family history purposes.

Very interesting! I will look into that I think. Many thanks for the prompt!

Alan

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Alan, from your list of 9 Lizzies you can immediately eliminate Lizzie Ann Pretty born Mar qtr 1862 Bosmere as she died in the same quarter as her birth.

9 is now down to 2. The ones remaining under investigation are:

Lizzie BRIGHT, whose birth was registered in Newmarket District, Sept Qtr 1862

Lizzie BASSET, whose birth was registered in Newmarket District, March Qtr 1861

Going out now will check these later.

Alan

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »

Lizzie BASSET, whose birth was registered in Newmarket District, March Qtr 1861

Alan, should her surname be BARRETT ? - this is the only Lizzie I can see registered in Newmarket

BARRETT, LIZZIE   mmn    SMITH     
1861  M Quarter in NEWMARKET  Volume 03B  Page 510   

this looks to be Lizzie on 1881 census

Lizzie Barrett age 20 born Newmarket occ housemaid
Head of household R ?yndham Rushbrooke Esq. age 22 Private Gentleman
Address  The Hall, Rushbrooke
RG11; Piece: 1837; Folio: 79; Page: 5

and with her parents on 1861c  RG 9; Piece: 1031; Folio: 121; Page: 18

Edward C Barrett   32 London occ Attorneys General Clerk
Sarah Barrett           29 Huntingdon
Jane Barrett           4
Edward C Barrett   3
Caroline Barrett         1
Lizzie Barrett           3 mths Newmarket
Alice Palmer   19 House servant

1856 marriage entry Huntingdon Edward Charles Barrett female name on same page Sarah Smith

Lizzie BRIGHT, whose birth was registered in Newmarket District, Sept Qtr 1862

Lizzie BRIGHT -    mother's maiden name left blank on GRO Indexes    
1862  S Quarter in NEWMARKET  Volume 03B  Page 491   

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I've just found this baptism only posting due to their first names, place & year of birth - have not yet checked for them on any censuses

Louis COTTON born 2nd Nov 1881
Baptism 23 Nov 1881 St Marylebone, Westminster, England
Mother:   Elizabeth COTTON abode workhouse
from London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1916

Have looked for a corresponding birth entry on FreeBMD & GRO Indexes for Dec qtr.1881 Marylebone but I can't see one for this surname  ???

The only one that seems to correspond is the one you have mentioned  :-\

Louis CODLING     -  (mmn left blank)   
1881  D Quarter in ST. MARYLEBONE Volume 01A  Page 559

I am convinced that 59-year-old Louis fathered a child by 19-year-old Lizzie, a son, whose birth was registered by Lizzie, as Louis CODLING.
This registration was in the 4th Qtr of 1881 and took place in the Marylebone District of London.

On the 1881 census you mention for Lizzie with Louis Benoit & wife Isabella is also their son Louis aged 16 occ city clerk - Is it possible that he fathered Lizzie's child :-\

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 November 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Ladyhawk

1: Typo by me!! I had meant to type Lizzie BARRETT. Looks like you found her in the 1881 Census! So out of my 9, I am now left with one to find, namely, Lizzie BRIGHT.

2: A response to your other message - It couldn't have been Louis Snr's own son, Louis BENOIT (born 1865) who was the father, as he didn't die until 1933, in Portsmouth. On the Louis CODLING/BENOIT marriage certificate in 1901, he declared his father as 'Deceased'! Louis Snr died in the first Qtr of that year.

avm228 & Dyingout

As per your kind prompting and advice, I have just ordered the online PDF copy of Louis CODLING's  Birth Registration from the GRO. The estimated availability date is 1st December. So, by next Friday ....... oh the waiting!!

Thanks to all,

Alan

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 30 November 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Greetings all (once again),

Well, I now have the pdf copy of Louis CODLING's Birth Certificate. It confirms the following:

Birth Date: 2nd November 1881

Place: Marylebone Workhouse

Name: Louis

Name and Surname of Father: None was given

Name and Maiden Name of Mother: Elizabeth Codling (Servant)

Signature, Description & Residence of Informant:
E Codling (Mother)
15 Victoria Place
Salisbury Street
Marylebone

When Registered: 11th November 1881

Registrar: Henry G Times

I'm slightly disappointed that no father's name is given, but having said that I'm reasonably confident that Louis BENOIT Snr was the father, given the declaration given by Louis CODLING on his marriage certificate, in which he stated that his father was Louis BENOIT (Deceased), and as has been mentioned a number of times, Louis Snr died in the 1st Qtr of 1901, the same year as Louis Jnr's marriage.

The certificate confirms that Lizzie's given name was actually Elizabeth, which I guess is helpful in trying to look for her elsewhere, assuming of course that she didn't stay in the Workhouse.

What is quite interesting, and it does solve a question, is that the residence that Lizzie gave after the birth was 15 Victoria Place. This is the address frequently quoted on the London Electoral Registers as the residence of Charlotte NUTKINS. I know that the London street names have changed over the years, some being bombed out of existence during the blitz, but intriguingly the 1881 Census, the same year as Louis CODLING's birth, seems to suggest that Charlotte NUTKINS was living in 23 Hunstworth Terrace. This address is part of a series of properties that the Census describes as 'Model Buildings'. You have to go backwards and forwards in the Census to see where the numbers change, 22 to 23 to 24 etc.... I have also seen where Victoria Place is just off Salisbury Street. Modern-day Salisbury Street, however, although still in Marylebone, is a little distance removed from where I believe Huntsworth Terrace to have been. So that's another mystery to solve!

The fact that Lizzie (Elizabeth) gave her residence as Victoria Place does, I feel, explain how baby Louis Codling came to be in the NUTKINS household so early in his young life. It perhaps is likely that Lizzie, as a single mum, chose to leave him with friends in order to give him the best chance in life. I do feel sorry for Lizzie, and it does increase my determination to try and find out what happened to her.

So, I press on, armed with this new and fascinating information.

I thought that those of you who have followed this thread and were so kind to help would like to know what the Birth Certificate actually said.

Best wishes,

Alan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott