Author Topic: On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District  (Read 5152 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 November 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I made my post late last night, so am just picking up your various responses, for which I am deeply grateful. I acknowledge, with gratitude, your collective findings thus far.

1: To answer your questions CaroleW,  it was seeing Louis's father's name on the December 1901 Marriage Register, as avm228 has also picked up, where he was described as 'Deceased' that convinced me that he was the father of Lizzie's son, Louis CODLING. The older Louis died in the 1st Qtr of 1901.

2: No, I haven't yet identified Lizzie on the 1871 Census, I'm still looking. It's more than likely of course, that her birth name was Elizabeth and not Lizzie.

3: In researching Charlotte NUTKINS (nee WALKER) I have not found any previous association with any members of the CODLING family. However, The 1881 BENOIT household and the 1881 NUTKINS household were both in the Marylebone District of London, so maybe Charlotte NUTKINS somehow became aware of the situation, and took Lizzie's son in; young' Louis, at a very early age.

-- avm228: Well, you seem to have torpedoed the two marriages I found, so the search for Lizzie CODLING goes on.

-- solidrock: It would seem unlikely that the Elizabeth ALDINGTON you found on the 1881 Census in Wangford could be the same Lizzie, as Lizzie CODLING was enumerated on the 1881 Census, aged 19 and living in the Marylebone District of London at the time.

To repeat, I am so appreciative of the contributions you have all made thus far, so, although Lizzie CODLING still continues to be elusive, I do hope that eventually she can be found. Whatever she was like, London must have been a difficult place for a young 19-year-old girl in 1881.

Just before I press 'Post' on this reply, maybe it was finding the DENNY wedding in 1885 that made me think of Lizzie coming from Wangford. Now that avm228 has effectively taken that out of the picture, perhaps it was another part of Suffolk that Lizzie came from.

We press on....

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
It's me again,

The only Lizzie CODLING found in a FreeBMD search of Birth/Marriages/Deaths in Suffolk, with the date range of 1861 - 1950, is the Lizzie CODLING/Frederick Denny marriage, in 1885. So, it is almost certain that her first name was something other than Lizzie. Unless someone comes up with anything different.

The only Elizabeth CODLING found in a FreeBMD search across a Births setting for Suffolk, with a date range of 1860 - 1950, is an Elizabeth CODLING born in the District of Bury St. Edmunds, with that birth being registered in 1874. So do these top two results suggest that her actual first name was neither Lizzie nor Elizabeth?

The only females with a CODLING surname found in a FreeBMD search across a Births setting for Suffolk, with a date range of 1860 - 1862 are the following:

Emma Charlotte CODLING - Birth Registered in the Sep Qtr of 1860, in the Wangford District.

Maria Jane CODLING - Birth Registered in the Sep Qtr of 1861, in the Risbridge District.

Caroline Elizabeth CODLING - Birth Registered in the Mar Qtr of 1862, in the Wangford District.

So it's scratching heads time again, as none of the above seem to 'fit' dear Lizzie.

Alan

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I had a look in the 1871 census for anyone with surname Codling born 1861 +/- 1 to see what possibilities there were, whether in Suffolk or not.

There are two 11-yr-olds named Elizabeth Codling in Norfolk in 1871 who I thought were worth eliminating.  Fortunately or unfortunately (!) both can be easily eliminated, as they were still with their parents (in Hindolveston and Litcham respectively) in 1881.

Sorry - nothing positive but it's always worth ruling out the red herrings at least.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi CrichCarr,
How do you know that "Lizzie" was born Codling? I'm still convinced that she is Elizabeth ALDINGTON, all the dates and places you gave add up, don't right her off just yet.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874/75 so her birth may not have been registered
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 November 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874/75 so her birth may not have been registered

Thanks for that piece of very useful information. If I ever knew that I had forgotten it.

Regards,

Alan

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 November 17 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi CrichCarr,
How do you know that "Lizzie" was born Codling? I'm still convinced that she is Elizabeth ALDINGTON, all the dates and places you gave add up, don't right her off just yet.

Hi solidrock,

I have just done a wildcard search on FreeBMD for a Lizzie born in Suffolk during 1861/1862. The search has returned 9 birth registrations. During the day I will try to find each one on the 1881 Census, that way I can rule them in or out, as 'my' Lizzie could not have been in two places at the same time.

Using the same logic, that is how I ruled out Elizabeth Aldington, as she could not have been on the 1881 Census in Suffolk, as you pointed out, and on the 1881 Census for the Parish of Marylebone, in London at the same time. At least that is how it seems to me.

Thank you all the same for your continued interest, much appreciated.

Alan

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Alan, from your list of 9 Lizzies you can immediately eliminate Lizzie Ann Pretty born Mar qtr 1862 Bosmere as she died in the same quarter as her birth.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone looked at the Ann Elizabeth Codling birth reg Q4 1861 in Norwich (freeBMD has surname as Codlin). Mother's mn Sheppard. Parents Robert and Ann. I can find family in 1861 (minus Ann Elizabeth because she wasn't born till a few months later).

Piece number 1211 Folio 38 Page number 31
Robert is a fishmonger. youngest daughter Maria is 10/12 i.e 10 months not 10 years as on some transcriptions. Can't find family in 1871, can find some children in 1881 but not parents.

Other thoughts: Lizzie could be abbreviation for Isabella. Lizzie could have a different birth surname and later acquired a stepfather's surname.
Information on 1881 census is as only as good as the householder knows and may have got age or place of birth wrong. I have many cases for servants / lodgers / boarders where the given place of birth was where they were last living not necessarily correct pob.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott