Author Topic: Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Stamford Mercury 08 January 1836
On the 29th Ult., at Garthorpe, Leicestershire, in the prime of life, Mr Thos. Henton, late of Knossington.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
The marriage licence for Thomas Henton who married Ann Tyler states that he was a Draper of Melton Mowbray, aged 29.

There is a will of a Thomas Henton, a Draper of Melton Mowbray in 1796. His wife was Milliscent. He also mentioned brothers, William and Henry of Ragdale.

Thomas Henton, transcribed as Kenton, married Milliscent Deverill in Saxelby on 1st June 1780.

When Milliscent died in 1813, she only named her siblings in her will.

I can't see a baptism that links the two Thomases. The only one that fits by date is at Saxby on 3rd April 1797, son of George and Mary.

Thomas Henton of Garthorpe was buried in Saxby on 21st December 1835 age 39.

David

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow!

I just popped in to have a quick look at this thread on my way to spend some time trying to follow this through, but it looks as if you are way ahead of me.

Thank you so much.  Lots to look at and consider.  I'll certainly be after a copy of the bastardy bond.

Interestingly, I've been up to Melton Mowbray a couple of times recently with my DH when he has been working there.  I hadn't expected to find any connection. 

Thanks again.
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 November 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
 A notice in The Leicester Journal in 1813 stated that Mrs. Melecint (sic) Henton was a draper of Melton Mowbray.

1828 Thomas Henton of Melton Mowbray, draper, signed over his estates and effects to William Mann of Wymondham and Samuel Henton of Saxby. Samuel Henton was also the son of George Henton.

The burial of Thomas Henton in 1795 gives a lot of detail. His parents were George and Mary (?) of Ragdale and he died of consumption aged 42. He died on 26th June and was buried on 29th June. It gives the location of his grave as the south side of the nave and so there might be a memorial.
 Note that the baptism record gave his parents as George and JANE, baptised on 4th May 1753 in Ragdale.

George Henton, the probable father of Thomas of Knossington, was buried in Saxby on 7th June 1825, born 1758. The only George baptised in that year was the son of George and Mary of Twyford.

He married As George Henton Jnr. to Mary Wright in Thorp Satchville on 15th January 1784. The documents state that he was a grazier and were co-signed by William Henton of Ragdale, mentioned as a brother of Thomas Henton who died in Melton in 1795, and Mary was from Stapleford.

George was baptised in Twyford on 22nd October 1758, also son of George and Mary. He was probably baptised in Ragdale on 5th November 1733, son of George and Jane, which makes him a brother of Thomas the draper, who died in 1795.

George Henton of Ragdale married Mary Haines in Kirby Bellars on 27th December 1757.

I am not related to the Towells but one of my relatives, Frederick Hasdell, married Esther/Hester Ann Towell, the daughter of Edward Towell, the son of James Towell, the son of Thomas Towell and Ann Seaton. James and Edward were baptised at the same Independent church in Oakham as Ann Towell, the mother of Charlotte.

David