Author Topic: John Trevett/Trevitt identification  (Read 2465 times)

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Trevett/Trevitt identification
« on: Friday 24 November 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have my 4th great grandfather John Trevet/Trevitt as being born in Puncknowle in 1775 and married to Martha Russell at Abbotsbury in 1809 then as a widower to Ann Farwell in 1819 in Bridport.  The record says he was from Abbotsbury.  I've found a Poor Law Settlement and Removal record of 1843 in which he says his parents were John Trevett/Trivett and Elizabeth Sprake and he was born in Puncknowle which is what I had on my tree but he goes through the details of his life saying who he has worked for and where and says he married Elizabeth at Loders who had since died. (I think she was Elizabeth Read) and had 6 children, 3 of whom had died. There's no mention of Martha or Ann.

I have John's parents as John Trivett and Grace Brown(e) and John's parents as Thomas Trevett and Joan Trevett and have a DNA match to Joan's brother Francis 1687 Litton Cheney who married Eustace Brown. 

My 3rd great grandfather who I believe to be John Trevett and Ann Farwell's son was John Trevett 1826 Abbotsbury who married Sarah Hallett and they can be found in the 1851 census with daughter Martha, living in Abbotsbury.

I'd appreciate any help with untangling this thanks.   :)

Frecknall, Fricknell, Frignal :Anywhere
Stephens: Southampton
Nelson: Sutton cum Duckmanton, Worksop
Frith: Sutton cum Duckmanton
Reeve: Worksop
Guard: Devon, Christchurch, Southampton
Lamble: Devon
Butler: Tredegar, Cork

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Trevett/Trevitt identification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a possibility that there may be two John Trevets. The Dorset opc site (opcdorset.org) has the marriage to Martha Russell in 1809 but it also has a marriage between a John Trevett and Elizabeth Read in Loders 19 November 1797. I haven't had time to look for a death for Elizabeth, or for any children. The same site also has his baptism in 1775 in Punchknowle parents John and Elizabeth. Might be worth searching to see how many John Trevets were baptised around 1775.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much.  :)

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I think I've found John's parents in the 1851 census. John Trivett who is 81 and born in Litton Cheney and his wife Anne who is 71 and born in Chideock.  So John would have been born in about 1770 and Anne in about 1780 but I can't find baptisms for either of them although there are Farwells born in Chideock around that time.
Can anyone help please?  Thanks. :)

Offline jusnoneed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there is an Ann Farwell baptised 2nd Feb 1777 Chideock. Parents Thomas and Sarah? (question mark on transcribed record).
There was a daughter bap 1778 to a Thomas and Sarah, Elizabeth.
Also Sarah bapt 1780 again with parents shown as Thomas and Sarah?
Masters, Parker, A'Court, Cary(ey), Cannon, Oram, Reynolds, Hennessy, Chislett,
Somerset
Muspratt,Pitman - Wiltshire, Dorset
Treasure - Stoke Lane & Sherborne

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. That might be her.  :)

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
I think I've found the father of John Trevett 1771 but I'm not sure enough yet to rewrite that part of my tree so if anyone can see any flaws in my reasoning I would be interested in your opinion.
I couldn't find a baptism for John Trevett in Litton Cheney in 1771 but there is a John who is the illegitimate son of Jane Brown. In 1801 a (Mrs. ) Jane Brown is the proprietor of a house that she lives in and she has a tenant called Richard Trevett. There are 2 Richard Trevett's in Litton Cheney. One was baptised in 1715 and the other in 1739.
 I have three DNA matches, to the 1739 one,  one to each of three of his brothers. I also have a DNA match to the line that the 'wrong' connection was on and that is 0.3 cm's more than the others but there is a Trevett/Trevett marriage further back that may account for the slight increase. So could this Richard be the right person to be the father of John Trevett bpt 1771?

Offline deoxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
Also there is a burial for John Trevett bpt 1771in Abbotsbury where he was living in the 1851 census and it says John Briar and in brackets 'properly Trevett' I wonder if that could be John Brown...

Offline tnorbury

• RootsChat Member
  • A growing family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 August 19 02:19 BST (UK) »
I have in my tree some of this family.  Here is my notes on Richard Trevett 1656 - 1725 that married Emme Godwyn (1653-1724)

Descendants of Emme Godwyn
Generation 1

1.       EMME GODWYN was born about 1653 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England. She died about 1724 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England. She married Richard Trevett, son of Robert Trevett and Martha, on 2 Aug 1681 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England (1681 2-Aug; Richard TRIVETT & Emme GODWYN Dorset OPC). He was born about 1656 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England. He died about 1725 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England.

Emme Godwyn was baptized on 30 Jan 1653 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England (Name  Emma Godwyn  Event Type  Baptism  Baptism Date  30 Jan 1653  Baptism Place  Litton Cheney, Dorset, England  Parish  Litton Cheney  Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map  2231  Father  John Godwyn  Mother  Elinor Godwyn). She was buried on 21 Mar 1724 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England (1724 Emme wife of R Trivett buried March 21 Affidavit brought 24th).

Richard Trevett was baptized on 8 Feb 1656/57 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England (Name Richard Trivet Event Type Baptism Baptism Date 2 Feb 1656 Baptism Place Litton Cheney, Dorset, England Parish Litton Cheney Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map 2231 Father Robt Trivett Mother Martha Trivett). He was buried on 2 Jun 1725 in Litton Cheney, Dorset, England (Name Richard Privett Event Type Burial Burial Date 2 Jun 1725 Burial Place Litton Cheney, Dorset, England Parish Litton Cheney Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map 2231).

Notes for Richard Trevett:

As Richards first child was named Martha his is more likely the son of Robert and Martha Trivett.

1652 Richard Trivett son of Richard & Mary Trivett baptised June 13th

1656/7 Richard Trivett son of Robt & Martha Trivett baptised February 8

There are two Ricchard Trivetts living in Litton Cheny in this time period.

1675 5-Aug; Richard TRIVET & Ursula GODWYN

1681 2-Aug; Richard TRIVETT & Emme GODWYN

1683 17-Oct; Richard TRIVETT & Barbarah SMITH

Ursula is buried 1 May 1683 so the Richard that married her also married Barbarah Smith.

Luckily we know that Francis is son of Richard and Emme Trivett.

Francis son of Richard & Emma Trivett bapt Jan 12 1687

CHICK, CHUBB, CLOTHIER, GALE, DOBLE, PIDGEON, GLOYNES