Author Topic: Mary Gibb from Aberdeenshire to New zealand in 1908  (Read 4063 times)

Offline topolino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Gibb from Aberdeenshire to New zealand in 1908
« on: Friday 24 November 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Friends, I came across someone in New Zealand who was connected with Mary Gibb originally from Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Mary Gibbs' parents were Alexander Gibb and Isabella Noble. This was on another website and originally posted more than five years ago, does this ring any bells with anyone in New Zealand ??

Alec F
Forbes, Morrice, Anderson, Stot, Gibb, Tolmie, Grant, Clelland,

Offline topolino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Gibb from Aberdeenshire to New Zealand in 1908
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Looking for the person (or relative or friend) who asked for Scottish connections to Alexander Gibb and Isabella Noble in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, through a Mary Gibb who came to New Zealand in 1908, daughter of above. The original post was on another website several years ago so the contact/email which I replied to may no longer be relative or indeed the poster may no longer be active, any help to solve the query would be appreciated.

Alec F

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gibb from Aberdeenshire to New zealand in 1908
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Also posted here

Merged to prevent duplication of effort.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gibb from Aberdeenshire to New Zealand in 1908
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Contact with the NZ Society of Genealogists may be of assistance as there are many 'Members Interests' registered for the surname GIBB in England and Scotland, though Aberdeenshire was not one of the regions mentioned.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »

The original post was on another website several years ago so the contact/email which I replied to may no longer be relative or indeed the poster may no longer be active, any help to solve the query would be appreciated.

Alec F

Hi Alec ... welcome to RootsChat.   :)

Is it the post at curiousfox website you speak of ?
[It seems that a request for an email check for the author of that query was made recently (18 Nov) - with that check apparently still being in progress ?? ]

There are, I notice, 2 "trees" posted to the ancestry.com site which carry info for the GIBB/NOBLE family, but for Mary, it only has her year of birth (1885) listed.  Not much help to you, I guess ?
Nevertheless, will have a look at NZ records and see what can be found for Mary.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 November 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Here is Mary's arrival in NZ - 1908 - per ship "Papanui".

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6PY9-9SP?i=13&cc=1609792

Offline topolino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu,
Thanks for your speedy interest in my post. I have dipped in and out of genealogy over the years when I have had spare time and I should have lots of that from next year. Yes I happened on the Curiousfox entry recently and there is an email attempt going on just now but no immediate response so I thought I'd try another angle. Mary Gibb would have been a sister of my wife's GF John, so not too far back. Appreciate any info you may find.

Alec F

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alec

Just this minute had had another look at the curiousfox entry.     
Didn't notice the first time around, but the entry for Mary stated >

Mary b. 1885 - d. 1920 NZ ;

Frustratingly it doesn't tell us a whole lot about Mary or her brief time in New Zealand.   :(    Obviously she produced a child ...  ???

Can only suppose that she married and that the person placing the query, has obtained Mary's parental details from the New Zealand marriage record ?   (Or possibly a death record. ?) 
[NZ Marriage records of that era made provision for recording the names of parents of bride and groom, the maiden names of their mothers; occupations of fathers, etc. ]

I'd been following up on a Mary who'd married just days after the ship "Papanui" had arrived in the Port of Wellington.  This Mary was later divorced by her husband on the grounds of adultery (and bore a child to the co-respondent in the case).    So far I've not been able to further trace "the threesome".   It seems that this Mary did not go on to marry the father of her child ... and a follow up of NZ death records under three possible surnames, hasn't found this Mary either.  ???
I'll keep looking though.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gibb from Aberdeenshire to New zealand in 1908
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Alec

Just an update on my previous post.   

Think I may now have found the death of Mary.    Some further searching needed but hopefully I can add details here later tomorrow.

~  Lu