Author Topic: Dunbevand/Dunbevan/Beven, Westminster 1860  (Read 540 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Dunbevand/Dunbevan/Beven, Westminster 1860
« on: Friday 24 November 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Some more RC records have been made available on FindMyPast today, and as usual I searched for any that are relevant to my one-name study.

Up popped a baptism in August 1860 of William DUNBEVAN, son of Thomas & Mary (formerly MURRAY), at Underwood Road.

The godparents were already in my database - Phoebe Dunbevand married John Kennedy in November 1858, and her brother David married Harriett Casper on the same day, both at Westminster registry office. Both gave their father's name as Thomas, but no occupation for him. David was a witness for Phoebe, and an Eliza Casey marked David's cert. I have the certs for these.

John Kennedy (X), 21, Bachelor, Disabled sailor Merchant service, 18 Old Pye Street, [blank], [blank]
Phoebe Dunbavand (X), 18, Spinster, , 18 Old Pye Street, Thomas Dunbevand, [blank]
Witness: David Dunbevand (X), Frederick Turney

David Dunbavand (X), 20, Bachelor, Hawker, 33 St. Ann Street, Thomas Dunbevand, [blank]
Harriett Casper (X), 18, Spinster, , 33 St. Ann Street, Robert Casper, [blank]
Witness: Eliza Casey (X), Frederick Turney

Unfortunately I've been unable to join these three Dunbevands to any other branches, and that's been bugging me.

So I looked for a marriage of Thomas and Mary, and found the likely one in January 1859. Thomas Beven, son of Robert, married Mary Murray at Horseferry Road. One of the witnesses was Elizabetham Casey - probably the same woman as before.

Addresses in [Old] Pye Street are mentioned in 1858 and 1860.

It looks like Phoebe, David and Thomas are all related, but I can't locate any of them reliably in any census.

It would be great if any of them could be found in a census to get some idea of where they came from. I don't think it is Ireland, as that branch consistently used the DUNBAVIN spelling, does the branch in St. Croix in the west indies.

I've paged through Old Pye St and St. Ann's St in 1861 and everyone mentioned seems to have moved on. The streets seem to have large numbers of boarders from all over the place.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunbevand/Dunbevan/Beven, Westminster 1860
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Phoebe got married again - ages don't match the 1858 marriage .....but otherwise

MARRIAGE:  28 Dec 1874 at Christchurch Spitalfields.
Benjamin CHANDLER 25,Bachelor, ?Roof Maker, of 4 Fash..? Street.
Father: Henry CHANDLER, Engineer.
Phoebe KENNEDY 29, widow, 4 Fash..? Street.
Father: Thomas DONBEVAN, Florist
Both signed their X.
Witness:George CHANDLER (X) and Mary Ann BALDORALD? (X)

This may be the couple in 1881:

CENSUS 1881:
At 2 Baker Street, Mile End Old Town, Middlesex
RG11 / Piece 471 / Folio 59 / Pg  9
Head: Benjamin CHANDLER, 39, Dock Labourer, b Stepney
Wife: Phoebe CHANDLER 35, b Stepney
Son: John CHANDLER 16, no occupation, b Stepney
Lodger: John WATTS 39, widower, General Labourer, b Peckham Surrey

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin CHANDLER may have died 1889, age 40, GRO registered St George in the East.

This man's Personal Estate was administered on 10 Oct 1889 in London .

PROBATE: Benjamin CHANDLER late of 19 Tarling Street, Commercial Road East, in the County of Middlesex, widower, who died 22 September 1889 at 19 Tarling Street, was granted at the Principal Registry to Edward CHANDLER, of 8 Wyndham Road Camberwell, Surrey, Iron Roofer, Brother and one of the next of kin. Effects £71, 10s

The Benjamin CHANDLER who married Phoebe, is quite findable in earlier Census with his engine driver father Henry, and he (Benjamin) had a brother named Edward.

If the 1858 marriage, 1881 Census and 1889 death/probate are the same man - if indicates Phoebe died  between 1881-1889, but the only death I can see is:

Phoebe CHANDLER age 36, registered West Ham, Essex, Mar Qtr 1887

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Great finds!

I now have a clue about where to search for earlier references. :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the map, and Fashion Street still exists. A bit more expensive place to live now than in 1874, I bet.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:11 GMT (UK) »
If the 1858 marriage, 1881 Census and 1889 death/probate are the same man - if indicates Phoebe died  between 1881-1889, but the only death I can see is:

Phoebe CHANDLER age 36, registered West Ham, Essex, Mar Qtr 1887

This death is still quite likely to be her.

She is already known to have played fast and loose with her age. The location might seem a bit far east, especially as Benjamin's death is pretty close to the 1881 census street, but her early death could well have been from tuberculosis, and the better air outside the city would have been seen as a good option. There were still some fields in West Ham in the 1890s.