Author Topic: Pearson of Thorne - Shipbuilders, Collinson link & Same Surname links with Selby  (Read 1763 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

The letter dated 1945 from the U.S. written by Mr Chapman of Scarborough and Blackpool, England, G.B., has some pencil notes added by the recipient that my Hoods of Selby were Shipbuilders.

Thomas Gouldsbrough (related to my Sarah Russell) had a Ship Yard at Selby by 1823 rented from Lord Petre (which he later purchased).
Also Geo Gouldsbrough had a House at the Selby Shipyard 1823.

William Burton (also a Burton related to my Sarah Russell) had a Butchers Shop at Ship Yard, Selby in 1823.

At Thomas Gouldsbrough's Selby Ship Yard in 1823 it mentions cottages called Pearson & Littlewood's cottages, so I thought I'd have a good go at these two surnames PEARSON (Pearson, is of interest) and LITTLEWOOD :-

Littlewood
A William Littlewood, Ship's Carpenter was claimed to be struck by an anchor at Selby and died 20 August 1834.

Did he marry?

Pearson
Researching into Pearson Ship Builders, I find a Richard Pearson of Thorne (a very familiar place) and also find in the London Gazette of 1816 two businesses at Thorne:-

Gilderdale, Pearson and Company, Ship Builders.

Collinson, Pearson and Company, Timber Merchants.
Various names Richard Pearson; Samuel Staniland and William Mitthorp Maude, Executors

Executors in Trust for the late Thomas Ellison Collinson, late of the Lordship of Myton, Kingston upon Hull deceased.
(a Staniland with Audas also at Selby Shipyard Wharf in 1823)

1816 London Gazette notice
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aiZKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA2278&lpg=PA2278&dq=Pearson,+Collinson+%26+Co+ship&source=bl&ots=78CWNtwett&sig=WJPgjOSIFUWkML94tqahaO4T96g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi59Pni0dfXAhUMIMAKHZM2AykQ6AEIMjAI

Unconfirmed - Richard was the Son of James Pearson, Keelman and Shipbuilder, born Fishlake 9 January 1754 and dying Thorne 1 November 1829.

Might be a link to the same Richard Pearson, in the Selby Register 21 Feb 1806 , Hannah 1st Dau of James & Mary Pearson, Selby, Mariner. James was the Son of Richard Pearson of Thorne, Seaman (odd as they are Shipbuilders) and his Wife is the Dau of James Whareham of Gainsborough.

There must be a marriage for the above couple and I wondered who the witnesses were please?

1812 Marriage (online Magazine)
Mr Richard Pearson of Thorne, to Miss Howarth, of Syke House.

Question
Any HOOD or familiar surname witnesses lurking in the Marriages and Banns and docs and also any Wills available online for these Pearson & Collinson and directly associated Littlewood characters, please?

Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Pearson of Thorne - Shipbuilders, Collinson link & Same Surname links with Selby
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »

Unconfirmed - Richard was the Son of James Pearson, Keelman and Shipbuilder, born Fishlake 9 January 1754 and dying Thorne 1 November 1829.

Hi, Richard Pearson Baptised 15th January 1754 at Fishlake, Father: James Pearson.

Now confirmed  ;)

Frank.

ADDED: Bishop's Transcript shows that James was a carpenter.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pearson of Thorne - Shipbuilders, Collinson link & Same Surname links with Selby
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Frank

Mark

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Marriage, 26 Dec 1811, Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul
Richard Pearson, bachelor of Thorne married by licence, Nancy Howarth, spinster, OTP, both signed, witnessed by Harriet Yeomans and Mary Davison. The licence shows Richard, age 23, from Thorne Yorkshire and Nancy, also 23, from Sheffiled PC.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 02:55 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of Hood-Pearson marriages, can you narrow down the period and area that you are interested in?

The following may be of interest....
Elizabeth Pearson, 24, of Beverley Yorks, married 14 Dec 1768 to Banbridge Hood,  22, of Beverley Yorks.

Ruth Pearson, OTP, married 29 Nov 1831 at Skipsea Yorks, to Charles Hood of Hunmanby.

Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Also of interest....
William Collinson, 30, of Owston, Lincs, married 11 May 1758, Elizabeth Ellison, 25, of Thorne.
Thomas Ellison Collinson, b 1764 (died 1815, from Myton) s/o William & Elizabeth at Misterton Nottinghamshire.

two others....
Thomas Ellison Collinson, s/o William & Elizabeth, bap 23 Jan 1793, Sculcoates, Yorks.
Thomas Ellison Collinson, s/o Thos Ellison & Mary, bap. 1801 Hull York.

Pearson - Collinson marriages....
Eleanor Pearson, 25, married 13 May 1843, john Collinson, Yorks
George Pearson of Burneston, married 3 Dec 1823, Margaret Collinson of Burneston Yorkshire
Isabel Pearson married 1702 John Collinson of Bradford St Peter
Matthias Pearson, of Brierley, clothier,  married 13 Nov 1787 at Bradford, Mary Collinson of Brierley.

Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Researching into Pearson Ship Builders, I find a Richard Pearson of Thorne (a very familiar place) and also find in the London Gazette of 1816 two businesses at Thorne:-

Gilderdale, Pearson and Company, Ship Builders.

Thomas Collinson, 26, married 27 Feb 1793, Church of Thorne, Mary Gilderdale, minor, father Robert Gilderdale.

Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of Hood-Pearson marriages, can you narrow down the period and area that you are interested in?

The following may be of interest....
Elizabeth Pearson, 24, of Beverley Yorks, married 14 Dec 1768 to Banbridge Hood,  22, of Beverley Yorks.

Ruth Pearson, OTP, married 29 Nov 1831 at Skipsea Yorks, to Charles Hood of Hunmanby.

Thank you Jo for all these replies.

I am afraid, I can't narrow the time period down, except to say circa 1700 to 1800.

James Hood, one of the Sons of my mystery George Hood (Geo married 1815 at Selby) had a number of children carrying middle surnames and middle forenames.

Three middle names so far, have been matched to known family ancestry:- Russell (the known wife of the mystery George Hood); Wilkinson and Arundel (last two linked to Sarah Arundel, illegitimate, the Wife of James Hood).

The middle names not matched are:-

Two surnames:- Pearson and Cook.

Two more middle names are both forenames and surnames:- Alfred and Ellen (Ellen could be the Aunt to James child).

Mark