Author Topic: Ancestry: "Probably have relatives...Scotland"  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry: "Probably have relatives...Scotland"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lweston:  Thank you for clarifying.  That sounds like what happened to my brother's results and mine.  I hope you are able to find matches with the results (I've now found three from one branch, which is really exciting).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Ireland is part of the British Isles but not part of Britain, there are some Irish folk who claim to be British but were not born there & were in fact born in Ireland. Something called the UK comes in here, things might change. ;D

Skoosh.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 February 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to a summary of the latest and most detailed research on British/UK (in the widest and most encompassing sense!) gene types.  The original paper in PLOS1 is a bit mind numbing, but the diagrams are good.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5312697/DNA-map-Britain-Ireland-reveals-Viking-genes.html
Of particular interest is the fact that three migration events can be detected; the Viking influence, the Tudor plantations influx and the Scottish/Irish interchanges.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Lweston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 February 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sallyyorks!

This certainly fits with my DNA showing 41% Scandinavian.

I have only begun looking at my European ancestors in the past few months.  On my mother’s side, I can trace back to the Virginia and Maryland colonies.  I have a fair amount of confidence in my tree because of the DNA matches I have.  So far over 1000 matches to 4th cousin or closer - I have been able to fill out those branches pretty well.

On my father’s side, it looks like both branches immigrated in the mid 1840’s from Ireland, England and Scotland.  So, before census data is available. 

I have DNA matches to common ancestors on this side of the Atlantic, but none on the European side so it is slower going.

My boyfriend, whose mother’s family migrated from Germany in the early 1900’s, lucked out and had a DNA match with a double cousin in Germany who speaks English.  He has helped tremendously with the German records.

I will say that both of us have had wonderful email “conversations” with relatives met through DNA matches.  I hope to be as helpful one day.
Fowler, Crozer (Crozier, Crosier), Burnett