Author Topic: Who was George Cruickshank's wife?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was George Cruickshank's wife?
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
George Cruickshank, son of Robert Cruickshank and Anne Leslie, was born in Rothes, Scotland, in 1821. He is listed in the 1881 and 1891 censuses* in Montreal with wife Elizabeth, also born in Scotland some time between 1825 and 1830, depending which census you believe. I have a note that they were married in Montreal in 1847, but no further details. George died in Montreal in 1893, and I have a death notice and obituaries from local newspapers in Scotland, mostly quoting one which appeared in the Montreal Witness of 26 December 1893.

Can anyone suggest how I might find details of the marriage and/or Elizabeth's birth, parentage and death?

Also, is it possible to obtain a copy of his will?

*I have failed to find him in the 1851, 1861 or 1871 censuses.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was George Cruickshank's wife?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a possible marriage at Forres in 1847
George Cruickshank and Elizabeth Fraser 22 Jan 1847
Unfortunately it's before civil registration so no marriage certificate,although you could try Scotlands people to see if the original has more info.
Possible baptism for her at Forres
Elizabeth Fraser 14 July 1825 d of William Fraser and Elizabeth Stephen
Elizabeth Fraser 26 May 1828 d of Robert and Margaret Fraser.

However her death and grave suggest a different story

Death of Elizabeth Turner Cruickshank wife of George manager of Montreal age 64 6 Nov 1891 of asthma .Buried 9th, at the Presbyterian Chalmers.Mount Royal Cemetery.(Find a grave.com)

There is another marriage at St Cuthberts Edinburgh George Cruickshank to Elizabeth Turner 28th Aug 1851.
It may be that they are both correct and his first wife died.

Ancestry family trees have a nice photo of him if you haven't got one.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

The obituaries say that he left Scotland in 1842, and settled in Montreal in 1844/1845, so it had not occurred to me that he might have returned to Scotland to marry. I'll check the Edinburgh marriage.

I know about the George C who married Elizabeth Fraser in Forres in 1847. He was born in Urquhart, Moray and was farming in Dyke, Moray in 1851, so he can be discounted. She was born in Dores, Inverness-shire.

Not having a subscription to A******y I have not seen that photograph.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 pm me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Excellent thinking, ciderdrinker! The 1851 Edinburgh marriage is the right one.  :) :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!

Ciderdrinker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Cruickshanks and Turner. George Accomptant, late of Montreal British America, presently residing at No 17 Clerk Street and Elizabeth Turner residing in the same Place both in this parish, only Daughter of the late James Turner, Veterinary Surgeon at Montreal aforesaid, have been three several times duly and regularly proclaimed in thge Parish Church of Saint Cuthberts in order to Marriage and no objections offered. Married on the twenty eighth August Eighteen hundred and fifty one by the Rev Patrick Clason, Minister of Free Buccleuch Church in this Parish. [Edinburgh St Cuthbert's Parish Register]

I see a baptism of Elizabeth, daughter of James Turner, flesher, and Helen Swan, in Edinburgh in 1827. Could a flesher in Edinburgh transform himself into a veterinary surgeon in Montreal, I wonder?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Well a flesher would be a butcher!
So presumably he would know the anatomy of an animal.
Perhaps he kept a few cows or pigs and was used to animals.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I tried the 1842 census of Canada East but it just says 'Mrs Turner' is head of a household of 4 people.