Author Topic: Looking for info on a Duncan Shaw and a Janet Downy - Braemar 1700's  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info on a Duncan Shaw and a Janet Downy - Braemar 1700's
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a birth or baptism of a William Shaw 19th May 1754 - in the county of Braemar

F: Duncan Shaw (C) M: Janet Downy of Glen Ey (P)

Written underneath is G F ipso G M Anne MacKenzie Alias what may be Kier or Kiar (C)

Anyone having any information that relates to this family would be gratefully received . . .

Many thanks in advance Indiana . . .  :)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on a Duncan Shaw and a Janet Downy - Braemar 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Possibly 2 brothers, James Shaw,  Christened 3rd July 1749 SAINT ANDREWS-RC, BRAEMAR, ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND and Donald Shaw, Christened 22nd September 1750 SAINT ANDREWS-RC,BRAEMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND.   Parents are given as Duncan Shaw and Janet Downy.
Duncan Shaw and Janet Dawny were married 30/7/1748 St Andrews, Braemar.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Donald Shaw christened 1750, godmother is listed as Isabell Shaw, Aunt.
James Shaw christened 1749, godmother is listed as Ann Keir who it says is also grand mother.
Possibly Duncan Shaw was baptised on 23rd Feb 1722 at st. Andrew Braemar, father is given as Donald Shaw and there is mention of godfather  Alexander McKenzie godmother was Isabel but no surname visible.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monkey - Some how I think I am on the right track here - and now I know William's brother's are called James and Donald helps a great deal too - With Janet's name being surname being Dawny not Downy on the marriage is a simple enough mistake - the birth I have found is as follows:

Janet Downy B: 16/0/1726 F: John Downy Keith hall and Kinkell. Invernurie

In the Rev. Lachan Shaw historian of Moray and the Rev. G.W Shaw both mention that a William Shaw of Inverourie as spelt in the book and Alexander Shaw of Delachule - Tomintoul were of the Alistar Cair Shaw line

I know now the William Shaw of Inverurie is the William Shaw born 1778 - Delachule - Tomintoul and is brother to Alexander born 1802 - Delachule - Tomintoul who married a Grace Stewart in Inverurie and goes on to die there

What I have also unless it a mistake Alexander Shaw's born 1839 - Delachule - Tomintoul marry's a Mary Laing in Glen Muicky in 1875 - Glen Cairn - Ballater

William Shaw is marked up as address Tomintoul . . .

The problem I have here is there were 2 Tomintoul 1) being very close to Braemar . . .

But his parents are marked down as Alexander Shaw and Isobel Mcintosh marriage Delachule - Tomintoul . . .

So I did question had there been a mistake as it would seem right for someone from Tomintoul close to Braemar to marry there - but a little more odd to have come down from Tomintoul - Kirkmichael . . .

To make matter worse they were married at Canda Craig and there is 2 of them one being closer to Delachule - Tomintoul and Canda Craig of Braemar

But I think now I am on the right track when I first started this family research as I think this link goes to Blairgowie and Blair Atholl where this side of the family dealt with cattle . . . 

I now believe I can follow the route via his brothers because either one James or Donald could be the father to William Shaw who married Euphemia Grant in 1795 in Tomintoul . . .

William Shaw Who married Euphemia (Ephy) Grant in 1795 1st son was called Donald . . .

As this William Shaw was born 1754 he would have been 41 at time of marriage to Ephy Grant so may well not be a son to the possible William B:1754 - James B:1749 or Donald B: 1750 . . .

But you have now confirmed what I knew that William had brothers Donald and James who connect to Tomintoul but were not born there and I did not have their births or parents names . . .

So I need to do the research on this Donald and James you have so kindly found for me . . .

Then if all connects then more research on Duncan Shaw whose brother I believe to be Alistar Shaw . . .

So many thanks for finding what I could not - thank you - thank you - thank you . . . : )

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 17 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh more Info thanks you - there was a Ann Mackenzie mention on William birth Alias Cair/Kier/Keir birth in 1754 . . .

What you cannot see but on the same page there is a Donald Lamond parents Peter and Isabella Lamond - GF - James MacKenzie alias Kier (C) . . .

There's a connection there also I think . . .

Again many thanks - something to get my teeth into now . . .  : )

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Happy hunting :)