Author Topic: Mottram parish registers problem  (Read 1207 times)

Offline sparkler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mottram parish registers problem
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
My 2 x g grandparents George Barden and Catherine Kirk, were married in April 1845 in Mottram Parish church, and I have the certificate. There is no mention of a name for the bride's father, and I assumed that she didn't know who her father was. I've found possible baptisms for her in Ireland ,but didn't know whether I was looking for an illegitimate child or not.
I've just looked on FindMyPast at the parish registers, and to my surprise there are loads of people where no father is mentioned, and I believe the vicar didn't bother to ask them for the info. Is this a possibility? and if so there must be lots of people like me, very frustrated! There can't have been so many illegitimate people in one town  :o
Catherine wasn't living with her family before she got married, so it is all down to guesswork,  tho I found a possible sibling for her in Dukinfield, Brigid Quirk.
Lovel(le)from Claremorris, O'Neil from Mayo, Barrett(Sligo) in 1820's and 30's then Holywell. .Mason from Biggin,Selby,Brayton,Hambleton,  Yorks  and Rodgers Crofts from Sheffield area; Bardens from Yorkshire and Oldham, Buckley Wood, Lancs/ Yorks,and Walsh, Oldham

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mottram parish registers problem
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 19:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a Catherine Kirk in the 1841 Census living in Caroline Street, Dukinfield, born Ireland. She is a Cotton Weaver which fits with the 1851 Census where she is a Power Loom Weaver

1841 HO107/110/6/F6/p7

1851 HO107/2238/F435/p34

Emeltee
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
... I've just looked on FindMyPast at the parish registers, and to my surprise there are loads of people where no father is mentioned, and I believe the vicar didn't bother to ask them for the info. Is this a possibility?...

How extraordinary - I just did a bit of browsing of the register in that era, and there are certainly an extraordinary number of omitted fathers. I think someone would have to research to see if there was a pattern we can't see, e.g., only asked if he thought they weren't in his baptism register.... He shouldn't have left it like that but who knows? I suppose that they might be a bit of a rum lot up there   ;) 

But yes, I think you are right to highlight it! Never seen that before at all....

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 17 07:13 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of omitted fathers' names in marriage entries in the next door Glossop Parish at around the same time. I don't know the reason why but there was a lot of movement between towns/parishes at the time as people moved between cotton mills for work so maybe it involved people who were incomers to the parishes.

Offline sparkler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.
I had the censuses already, emeltom, and I think I've exhausted all possibilities, unless I find a DNA match!
If the fathers were not included because the person came from another area, it is scandalous!! I am really annoyed  >:(
Lovel(le)from Claremorris, O'Neil from Mayo, Barrett(Sligo) in 1820's and 30's then Holywell. .Mason from Biggin,Selby,Brayton,Hambleton,  Yorks  and Rodgers Crofts from Sheffield area; Bardens from Yorkshire and Oldham, Buckley Wood, Lancs/ Yorks,and Walsh, Oldham

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of omitted fathers' names in marriage entries in the next door Glossop Parish at around the same time. I don't know the reason why but there was a lot of movement between towns/parishes at the time as people moved between cotton mills for work so maybe it involved people who were incomers to the parishes.

Yes they did seem to move around for mill work

I have mill worker ancestors from the Mottram and Tintwistle area and one branch had moved there from the West Riding, over the Pennines. The 1841 census is confusing because they are in the same households but are all quite young. What looks to have happened is that a group of young siblings, and possibly also cousins, moved there without their parents

They also ended up in 'Dukinfield'.