Author Topic: Help with the 1910 US Federal Census please  (Read 1357 times)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with the 1910 US Federal Census please
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I have the following details of the bride from Massachusetts, Marriage Records:

Date of marriage: 27th July 1910
Name of Bride: Agnes M Keep  ( I think there is an error in her surname; see father's surname)
Number of marriages: first
Residence at time of marriage: 5 Larch Place, Boston
Place of Birth: Bangor, Maine
Father: Patrick Keefe (slightly different surname from bride)
Mother : Mary E Tobin

Can anybody please tell me who was living at 5 Larch Place Boston in the 1910 US Federal Census which I believe was taken on 15th April 1910. (three months before the marriage)

I have not given details of the groom as I have him in the 1910 US Federal Census and I have the couple in the 1920, 1930 & 1940 censuses.

I also suspect that the bride may have had a daughter in 1908, hence my reason for wanting to find her in the 1910 census as this should either prove or disprove this theory

Many thanks for your help

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the 1910 US Federal Census please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
This is the head of the family listed at 5 Larch Place - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M22H-N4D

The 1911 Boston city directory has Mary E. O'Keefe, widow of Patrick, at that address.

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shellyesq,
That is disappointing and does not make sense. as the surname at 5 Larch Place in the 1910 census appears to be Furze

Could there be 2 Larch Places in Boston??
What is the previous Boston City Directory before 1911 and does it have Mary E O'Keefe and/or Patrick O'Keefe in it?
Thanks for your help

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I checked the 1910 Boston city directory, and I didn't see a Mary or Patrick O'Keeffe at that address.  There are a bunch of Marys and Patricks with the O'Keefe spelling, but not on Larch Place and no Mary E.  With the O'Keeffe spelling, the only Mary was Mary A. and there were no Patricks.

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Shellyesq,

Thanks for the additional information

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at the MA Marriage Registration list (typed, not handwritten) for that marriage of Agnes to Patrick F Adley - and the address for her is 3 Larch Place, not 5.

Not that this helps, as at 3 Larch in 1910 is a SMITH family.

I'd still look at the FURZE family as possibly being connected - the wife mother there is Bridget, who is born of Irish parents. They have  a daughter Gertrude FURZE age 9.

Gertrude's 1901 MA birth record shows her parents as John J FURZE and Bridget G FLAHERTY.

On the 1910 marriage of Agnes and Patrick, his mother is named as Ann M FLAHERTY, wife of John J ADLEY. Perhaps Agnes simply stayed there with (in-law) family just prior to her marriage and used that address.

Agnes' place of birth given on the marriage as Bangor Maine? (useful if looking for her in the census)

Are you able to tell us the name & details of the daughter you think is Agnes'?

Edit Add: Oh, I note Shelley's mention, that Mary E O'KEEFE was at 5 Larch in 1911 Boston Directory!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Ambly,
Thanks for your reply

The Flaherty link is very interesting.
 The daughters name is Helen (sometimes spelt Hellen) Adley and is aged 11 in 1920 census living at east 6th Street Boston and her birth place is given as Massachusetts. If she really was aged 11 in 1920 then she would have been born before her (possible) parents married.

I know she was not living with Patrick F Adley in 1910 or the parents of Patrick F Adley as I have them in the 1910 Census, so I presume Helen must have been living with her mother or her mothers parents

I have seen Helen recorded as Helen C and Helen K .
The 1920, 1930 and 1940 censuses show her as being born in Massachusetts.

I have seen two references to her death in Massachusetts
The first says that a Helen Baker maiden name Padley died in 1980 I think this was from the Massachusetts Death Index

The US Social Security Death index says she died in October 1980 and was born 24th October 1908. This is a date before the marriage in July 1910.

The findagrave website states that Helen C Baker was born 24th October 1908  in Maine;  but does not say where it got that information

Helen Adley married twice firstly in 1929 to  Francis Edward Kelley and secondly to someone called Baker (I do not know the date of the second marriage or her second husband's name)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
A mystery I'm intrigued to try help with....I have to go out unfortunately...  ;)

Just want to ask, do you have Agnes in 1900 MA census with her mother Elizabeth M O'KEEFE 35, b Canada 1848 and siblings including Helen b 1876? At least, I'm pretty sure it's her.  I think the mother often went by Elizabeth or Lizzie (much like Agnes' husband went by Frank, I think?)

I think Agnes' sister would be, Ellen O'KEEFE married in MA 1902 to John J CORCORAN, her parents were given as Patrick W O'KEEFE and Lizzie TOBIN

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

The main family I am following is the Adley family and I have no information about Agnes prior to her marriage in 1910.

I suppose the question I am trying to answer is was Helen's father Patrick F Adley.

Have fun wherever you are going out to. I am in England so about to go to bed!!!