Author Topic: Shared Matches between Mother & Daughter  (Read 1090 times)

Offline genealogygirlais

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shared Matches between Mother & Daughter
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I had both my DNA and my Mom’s done through Ancestry.  I’ve noticed as I start going through the matches some of them aren’t on my list.  One for example is 5th to 8th cousin’s with my Mom but isn’t connected to me at all.

Thoughts?
A.
Ireland: Andrew, Thompson
Scotland: Crerar, Carmichael, McDuffie, McFie, McLergan, Sword, Young
England: Grisdale, Garside, Booth, Robertshaw
Germany: Nawroth, Peiser, Schroder, Ullmann, Weidmann
Italy: Nicoletti, Torbole and Zuglioni

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shared Matches between Mother & Daughter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Basically autosomal DNA testing is only effective for close relationships and so someone being on your Mum's list but not yours is not unheard of. More reading at

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA

There are further explanations on the Ancestry site too
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Two possible reasons that occur to me right away-

1) The common ancestor might be so far back that your mother has enough DNA in common to be flagged up but you don't.
2) Ancestry's common matches and matching program isn't foolproof- I was told once that it can take 30 days after someone has taken the test for their results to be fully matched up with all of the people they are related to who already took the test. Certainly the actual "shared match" function is confirmed extremely wonky.

Ayashi

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 17 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Your mum's 2nd or 3rd  cousins could show up as your 4th to 6th cousins.
Her 4th to 6th cousins could show up as your 5th to 8th cousins.
Her 5th to 8th cousins may or may not match you at all.

That's why we are encouraged to get the older generation tested, where available. Unfortunately, I am the older generation!

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go