Author Topic: Tracking Merchant Seaman records and voyagers  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracking Merchant Seaman records and voyagers
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in finding out if there is a way to obtain further records or information regarding a merchant seaman David John Bowen. He appears to have been ticketed in 1846 with registration number 194 740.  I have an image, but it is too large to post here.  Also there are columns for voyagers undertaken, but information is recorded by a series of numbers.  If anyone has any idea of where I could find more information on David John or knows where I might search to identify the voyagers by these numbers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking Merchant Seaman records and voyagers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »
The numbers relate to the ports, this should explain better than I can  :) :

http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/abbreviations-merchant-seamens-records/
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
It may be an idea to post further information e.g. his year of birth, where born & Country, where/when married, where lived/where he could have signed up/what years you know he was MS etc?

"He appears to have been ticketed in 1846"

Where in the world?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in finding out if there is a way to obtain further records or information regarding a merchant seaman David John Bowen. He appears to have been ticketed in 1846 with registration number 194 740.

Together with the details requested by Annie. Could you give us a link to the page where you found this information?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest.
David John Bowen born 12/12/1831 Bristol, Somerset. Son of David John Snr and Winifred Bowen. Here is a link to the document I have, hopefully it works.
https://www.ancestry.com.au/mediaui-viewer/tree/47953178/person/13043619155/media/f21d1510-4090-4abf-94b5-1872dec5672a
1841 census has him in Back street, St Nicholas, Bristol with his parents and younger brother William.
David John first went to sea in 1842 at age 11 as a ships boy, ticketed in 1846.  He eventually made his way to Australia where he had his first born in 1856 in Sydney NSW. I havent located any definitive entry to Australia for him and can't find any record of his marriage to his first wife Catherine Amelia ASHER.
David John died in Sydney NSW 1898.
Thank you for all your help
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
The Ancestry link does not work unless you have a valid subscription
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this valuable research aid.

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
There are duplicate records at FindMyPast
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=tna%2fmsea%2fbtoth%2f4585096%2f00494&parentid=tna%2fbt113%2f2132789068%2f1
All I can tell you from these is that he was an apprentice seaman in 1845/46 on board a London (Port number 75) registered vessel with the port rotation number 714.
There is no "key" to relate port rotation numbers to the name of an individual ship so it would mean trawling through some 28 boxes each containing several dozens of crew agreements to try and find the name of the ship.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=london&_cr=bt98&_dss=range&_sd=1846&_ed=1846&_ro=any&_st=adv
You would need the visit Kew to do this.
Hardly seems worth the effort to me.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the hints. I will look into the links you guys posted to see what I can find.  I will have to try and work out how to post the docments I have, as this site says they are too big to attach.  When I work it out, or find the original source of the document I will try again.  Thank you all