Author Topic: understanding Walmer Kent parish burial records.  (Read 2424 times)

Offline cloud95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
understanding Walmer Kent parish burial records.
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I have copies of Parish registers for burials in the parish of St Mary Walmer.  I thought all the burials were in the  Blessed Mary of Walmer Churchyard.  I am no longer sure of this.  Some burials give details of the burial eg Church Street Block Row 8.  Some give no indication and others say in the military or naval burial ground.  My question is if there is no indication of where the person is buried how can I be sure they are within the churchyard.  I have tried to locate a military or navy burial ground in Walmer but cant find any.  There is a military burial ground in the Hamilton Road Cemetery in Deal.  Is there a section within the churchyard for military and Naval burials.  I hope someone can help clarify this for me. Cloud95  :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: understanding Walmer Kent parish burial records.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

What year was the burial.   

I also have family whose entries in 1906/1908 at St Mary's give no information as to where they were buried.  :-\

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 17 08:13 GMT (UK) »
There is the old Blessed St Mary church, and a New St Mary!

The old Blessed St Mary Church is set in a burial ground in Church Street at Upper Walmer.

Of course, it could be that the funeral service was held at one or other of the St Mary churches, but the grave was located in the local cemetery?

Hamilton Road Cemetery is a combined municipal and military burial ground situated in the coastal town of Deal, Kent.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
If it's a military burial for either WW1 or 2 have you tried a search of the War Graves Commission Website?

Martin

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cloud95,
I also have the burial records for St Mary, Walmer which, presumably, are the same as yours. As has been said, there were two St Mary's churches, the first consecrated in the 12th century which became too small for the population so a second, larger one was built, consecrated in 1888. This second church had no burials - all burials were in the churchyard of the 'Old St Mary's,' as it's called.
You will notice on the records a series of letters and numbers beside the entries. These indicate the area of the churchyard in which the grave is situated. CB = Church Block, etc. The references to NG, MG & CG, which occurred largely in Napoleonic times, must be for areas of the churchyard dedicated to the forces. You will see that those burials thus marked were many years before the Hamilton Road Cemetery was opened. Apart from St Mary's there were only St George's and St Leonard's churches where people could be buried other than the military burial ground at the Royal Marine Barracks (now houses) in Walmer which has limited information as a lot of the stones are illegible.
I hope this is of some help,
Yours
AJ

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi AJ
If my Royal Marine was buried in the military burial ground (1906) would they be able to bury his wife there too (1908).    :-[

Sorry for high jacking your thread cloud95
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cloud95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for all the comments.  I have confirmation of a military burial ground at the barracks.  So there is a possibility they were buried at he barracks.  Some of the burials at the Military/naval burial ground are in the 1830s dating back to 1815.  There are both men women and children who were buried in the military burial ground.    A lot have there abode as being on a ship, at the barracks or the military hospital.  Does anyone know what year did burials cease there?  I am thinking families that were living at the barracks or were in the military hospital were buried at the Cemetery there that is why there are women and children listed buried at the military burial ground.  Just an assumption at the moment.   If anyone has any information on the burial ground at the barracks it would be much appreciated.
cloud95

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth your while contacting the Deal branch of  Kent family history society as they may have more detailed information to give you  deal@kfhs.org.uk
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosie
Wives of Servicemen lived in the Barracks so I think would have been buried in the same cemetery. Records seem to be scanty but will fish out what records of MI's there are and  let you know if you tell me the name.

Regards
AJ