Author Topic: Christ Church bells will ring for John Thomas Hogg - 30 November  (Read 976 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christ Church bells will ring for John Thomas Hogg - 30 November
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Christ Church (North Shields) bells will ring on Thursday, 30 November at 1730 for a former bell ringer of theirs called John Thomas Hogg.  He died in France during the Great War exactly one hundred years ago on that date.  John served as a Rifleman with The Queen's Westminster Rifles.

He was the husband of Ethel Muriel Hogg (nee Crosby) and the son of Robert and E. A. Hogg of North Shields.  His brother Robert Morrison Hogg also died in the War a year later in a German hospital.

A very detailed account of his story and a view of his photo can be accessed on the 'North East War Memorials Project ' website.

The bells will ring with a half muffled quarter peal lasting around 45 minutes. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church bells will ring for John Thomas Hogg - 30 November
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Lovely tribute, RTL.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey,

Yes, I agree that this will be a lovely gesture and fitting tribute by those at Christ Church to honour this fallen soldier and former bell ringer.I

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 17 08:06 GMT (UK) »
How did the event go, River Tyne Lass?  I imagine the bells would ring out soundly into the frosty night?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 17 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mr Tibbs,

Thanks for your enquiry post. I do appreciate your interest. I am hoping the event went well and that the bells did ring out soundly on such a frosty night.  Unfortunately, I could not get along to hear this - although I would have liked to.  I was needed to work nightshift last night and have just finished work now.

At least, I hope my post would have helped in letting people in North Shields know the reason behind the bell ringing.  Hopefully, this also might help with letting any of John's family descendants know that he was honoured for his great sacrifice.

I wonder if any fellow RootsChatters out there heard the tribute last night?

Best Wishes :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't realised that this is part of a larger project by the Durham and Newcastle Diocesan Association of Bellringers to have a quarter peal rung in the appropriate tower on the centenary of the death of the various bellringers.

More information here  http://dandn.awardspace.co.uk/new/greatwar.html and list of names here http://dandn.awardspace.co.uk/new/pdf/greatwar1.pdf
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
Thank you again.  The list of names was great information for me as the MUNDLE  bellringer was a relative but also what an interesting website.
Pat

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Jen can always find great information.  How marvellous that you have discovered one of your relatives too on the site link provided by Jen, Mr Tibbs. :)  I am glad to hear he will be or has been publicly honoured.