Author Topic: Henry and Mary Streater of New Alresford  (Read 1303 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry and Mary Streater of New Alresford
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking into Henry and Mary Streater of New Alresford. Henry was a maltster and was in some sort of debt, as reported by newspapers at the time.

They had the following children:

Mary, baptised 04/08/1740
Henry, baptised 28/04/1742
Samuel, baptised 30/11/1743
Martha, baptised 17/08/1745
Hannah, baptised 12/08/1747
Betty, baptised 04/10/1749
Ann, baptised 08/11/1751

All were baptised in New Alresford, at St. John the Baptist.

I am primarily interested in the Streaters because this is my oldest branch I have traced! I am descended from Henry twice, as my great-great-grandparents, Alexander and Helen S. MacGregor were first cousins. Their Streater parents came from Farringdon, with their grandad from East Worldham, and their great-grandad from New Alresford, as was discovered on the 1769 marriage record from East Worldham.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry and Mary Streater of New Alresford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
This book appears to provide some help, but I can make no sense of it:

https://archive.org/stream/genealogicalhist00instre/genealogicalhist00instre_djvu.txt
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I expect you have looked at it in this format already, but just in case,

https://archive.org/details/genealogicalhist00instre

It took me ages to realise that these could be looked at like a book rather than struggling through a list of text  ::) :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I did eventually discover that and make sense of it ;D

However, it seemed to show that there were a lot of Streaters in New Alresford, and they seemed to have been a Quaker family. No mention of my Henry though :(