Author Topic: "Double Cousins" Who Marry Each Other  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Double Cousins" Who Marry Each Other
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across this before? I have a pair of double cousins who marry each other, a brother & sister of one family marry a brother & sister from another, then a child from each pair marry. It did 'arf confuse me at first.  I was just wondering how common it was as it is the first time I've seen this
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Double Cousins" Who Marry Each Other
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a brother and sister who both married their first cousins although from 3 different families
brother and sister  James and Helen mother sister 1
James  married Jane daughter of sister 2
Helen married Andrew son of sister 3

James and Jane had 5 children including 1 son James
Jane also had a brother John who married and had a daughter Agnes
James jr and Agnes married they had 6 children including 1 son who married  Helen and Andrews grand daughter

Confused ? I was

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »

Jane also had a brother John who married and had a daughter Agnes
James jr and Agnes married they had 6 children including 1 son who married  Helen and Andrews grand daughter

Confused ? I was

Blimey that's worse than mine  :D :D
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I also have many instances of brothers/sisters marrying sisters/brothers including my own parents my fathers brother married my mums sister my cousins are both female and happily married to non blood relatives I am happy to report

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I did a double-take when I saw this - and then a double check. So these are cousins who have FOUR grandparents in common instead of the usual two as in most cousin marriages? Then they marry? Any child of theirs would have just those four great-grandparents instead of the usual eight?

You don't say if the double-cousins marrying had any children, but it would surely be very risky? I have instances in my tree of first cousins marrying and choosing not to have children, but others where they've gone ahead with no noticeable ill effects.

Perhaps the taboo against such marriages was because in those days there was not only the first cousin consanguinity but other such mixing of genes in the past, known or unknown. Nowadays when you're much more likely to marry outside your own community that risk is lessened?

Chris

(goes off to examine the Drapers of Cubbington who have many second-cousin and similar marriages but none AFAICR between those cousins where brothers married sisters. Were they aware of the problem?) 
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
This happened with one of my direct ancestors cousins.  They married, had a few babies, large gaps in between and none of them survived past 3 mon :(.  I suspect that the close relationship of the parents had something to do with it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I did a double-take when I saw this - and then a double check. So these are cousins who have FOUR grandparents in common instead of the usual two as in most cousin marriages? Then they marry? Any child of theirs would have just those four great-grandparents instead of the usual eight?

You don't say if the double-cousins marrying had any children, but it would surely be very risky? I have instances in my tree of first cousins marrying and choosing not to have children, but others where they've gone ahead with no noticeable ill effects.

Perhaps the taboo against such marriages was because in those days there was not only the first cousin consanguinity but other such mixing of genes in the past, known or unknown. Nowadays when you're much more likely to marry outside your own community that risk is lessened?

Chris

(goes off to examine the Drapers of Cubbington who have many second-cousin and similar marriages but none AFAICR between those cousins where brothers married sisters. Were they aware of the problem?)

No the double cousins didn't have any children they married when he was 35 (second marriage for him) and she was 29

The funny thing is that the 3 original sisters grew up in Angus Scotland Jane and her children emigrated to Canada after the death of her husband to live with her brother and his wife

Helen and Andrew stayed in Angus and the double cousins met when he came over to Scotland as a Canadian soldier during WW1

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Also to add further Helen and Andrew were my 2x Gt grandparents they had 7 children 2 died of scarlet fever in 1868 aged 3 and 1
3 survived to adulthood married and had children of their own
the other 2 died as young adults of illness