Author Topic: Ludlams of South Yorkshire  (Read 959 times)

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ludlams of South Yorkshire
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone doing research into the various branches of Ludlams resident in South Yorkshire since the late 1500s?

There is a line that looks to descend from Roger Ludlam=Agnes Satterfett (married at the Parish Church, Sheffield, 22/10/1582) that should include Thomas Ludlam, Master Cutler in 1646, and particularly a line associated with Ecclesall and Cherrytree Hill. A number are mentioned in Leader's volumes on cutlery records, for example.

There is a branch associated with Stannington from the mid-eighteenth century, which included shoemakers.

Another branch descends from Nicholas Ludlam= Margeria Gee (also married at the Parish Church, Sheffield, 16/5/1591) which seems to me to begin a line of mercers in Barnsley, via Wortley and Tankersley. One line moved to Tetney, Lincolnshire, through Stephen Ludlam of Hemsworth & Tetney (d 1722) and others seem to me likely to have spread to Conisbrough, Doncaster and Tickhill in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

Finally, there are many Ludlams associated with Tinsley, Whiston, Rotherham, Braithwell, Slade Hooton, Laughton and Wickersley over a period of 400 years. The descendants of Edward Ludlam of Laughton (bur 26/2/1825) are probably the best known (to me) in this respect but his parentage is unknown.

I'm interested to work out if/how many of these branches are connected or not.
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ludlams of South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Ludlam was still extant in Doncaster in the 1980s,
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick Wilde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ludlams of South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about right now, but there must have been a Ludlam in the Golcar, Slaithwaite, Marsden area at some time because we have a local saying "He's as idle as Ludlams dog".  People rarely said the whole thing as most people understood the meaning straight away.  The full phrase being: He's as idle as Ludlam's dog, that used to lean its head against the wall to bark!