Author Topic: Is it possible to identify this uniform please?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to identify this uniform please?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Back again  ;D................................

There is a tree on line (Ancestry) with the photograph of your man, according to said tree he is:

Thomas Henry Davies

Born    St. Peter's, Carmarthenshire
K.I.A   28 Dec 1917
Death Place    France and Flanders
Enlistment Place    Carmarthen
Rank    Private
Regiment    Northumberland Fusiliers
Battalion    21st Battalion (Tyneside Scottish)
Regimental Number    47676

Formerly 162053 R.F.A

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 November 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
47676 is Thomas Henry Davies, wife Mrs M (Minnie according to the Effects register) of 34 Hawkes Villas Carmarthen according to the CWGC detail.  The RFA number doesn't feature in the military records

So David Thomas remains unfound - or is he TH Davies???

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 November 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
47676 is Thomas Henry Davies, wife Mrs M (Minnie according to the Effects register) of 34 Hawkes Villas Carmarthen according to the CWGC detail.  The RFA number doesn't feature in the military records

So David Thomas remains unfound - or is he TH Davies???

MaxD

Hi MaxD, I suspect the man in the photograph is Thomas Henry Davies, pictured on leave, I notice Minnie is wearing a wedding ring as well.

"UK soldiers died in the Great war 1914 - 1918" has all of the details I posted at half past ten last night.

We await SusieK, perhaps she may be able to shed some light on it.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline SusieK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Gosh went off to bed and you guys were still hard at work! Didn't expect to get anymore information really so thank you all very much.

Went back to check the notes again and found two names - Thomas Henry Davies AND David Thomas, so it looks like a bit of confusion somewhere. (Maybe David Thomas was the second husband ?? ) The photograph doesn't have any name on, only 'first husband' so whoever had the photo obviously didn't know it. The marriage date is indeed 12th August 1912 according to a family bible page, but no husband's name visible as it's in a bit of a bad state.

Will check out the ancestry tree, thank you Frank - may be an introduction to someone new in the family (new to me anyway!).

You've all been so helpful and I appreciate it very much, it will make tracking down Minnie 'and husband' so much easier. I suspect that it is indeed Thomas Henry Davies, as his name is included in the notes.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Frank - I agree with you and your find of the marriage Thomas H Davies/Minnie Lewis Carmarthen Q3 1912.

Seen SuzieK's post - yes, perhaps David Thomas came next although I beg to be excused looking for a later Davies/Thomas marriage in Wales!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
.................................................................................... although I beg to be excused looking for a later Davies/Thomas marriage in Wales!

MaxD

;D ;D ;D

Frank.

Offline SusieK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 November 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
MaxD - consider yourself excused  ;D ;D ;D

I think I will forget about the second husband for the time being and concentrate on the first! My family history is full of Thomas's, Lewis's and Davies's.

I really wasn't expecting so much, so thank you all!

I've been busy cleaning up young Thomas Henry's uniform, I was so sad to think he might have died so young (and now of course I know he did!) I thought he would want to be remembered all spic and span.

Frank - Have just been looking through the details you supplied and wondering how he could have ended up in the Northumberland Fusiliers and not in a Welsh Regiment. I think the photo was taken early in 1914, going by the age of the baby, so it seems he must have served almost all the way through the war starting with the RFA. (I think that's his cap badge? Sorry, get a bit confused with all the different regiments!)

Offline SusieK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Just got this off the Carmarthen WW1 memorial, which I think answers most of my questions! Thanks all for your help, will now follow up as much as I can about young Thomas Henry (although he's not strictly mine.

With thanks

Sue

Thomas Henry Davies, Private, 47676, Northumberland Fusiliers. Thomas was born as Thomas Henry Davies on 4 April 1889, the illegitimate son of Caroline Davies. Caroline married his father, Thomas Price, on 14 September 1889, at Christ Church, Carmarthen. Thomas was raised as Thomas Henry Davies, at 13, Blue Street, Carmarthen. On 28 August 1912 he married Minnie Lewis at St. David’s Church, Carmarthen, and the couple set up home at 34, Hawkes Villas, Carmarthen. He enlisted at Carmarthen into the Royal Field Artillery under the name Thomas Henry Price, and was later transferred into the 21st Battalion (Tyneside Scots), Northumberland Fusiliers, which was attached to 102 Brigade, 34th Division. The Division moved to France between 7 and 15 January 1916, and saw its first major action on the Somme, during the Battle of Albert, where it suffered very severe casualties during its part in the attack on La Boiselle. It then took part in the Battle of Bazentin, Battle of Pozières and the Battle of Flers-Courcelette. The following year saw them fighting at the Battle of Arras. Thomas was killed on 28 December 1917, and is buried at St. Martin Calvaire British Cemetery, St. Martin-Sur-Cojeul, France. His brother, Arthur James Price, also fell.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
The fact that he didn't go overseas with the RFA explains why his medal records do not include his RFA number.

From the war diary, it appears he was one of three men in a ration party killed by shell fire while taking rations to his comrades in a trench called Pioneer Alley south west of Arras.

On the link, the trench can be seen in square O31 (need to zoom in a bit) on the left hand map.  The right hand map is the area today.  The cemetery in which he is buried is over on the left below the village of St Martin sur Cojeul.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.2331&lon=2.8771&layers=10146507&right=BingHyb

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk