Author Topic: Registrar  (Read 1097 times)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registrar
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

can you ever find information on someone from the registrar who signed there death certificate? or could someone explain to me what a registrar was back in 1860's. it all seems abit confusing - sorry!

but to find the family, i'm having no luck on names so i'm hoping the name on the registrar bit could shed some light maybe..

i don't even know if the child at death was at home or in a hospital etc or if the home address was just put down as that is where they lived?

i started researching a few years ago when i turned 20, i'm not very experienced yet!

if anyone can help, thank you

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Registrar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauren
the registrar would have had the job of recording details of all births, deaths, and marriages. It is unlikely that the registrar was related to the family in the certificate.
It looks like William died at home, as the family are living at Mount Pleasant in 1861
Mar :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauren,

My understanding is that registrars were the people who obtained information of the death from the informant in your case the father John, and they were the ones who maintained a record and have done since 1837 of all births-marriages-deaths in their district (the information from those records were then indexed into quarters).  So finding the registrar most likely won't help you find information about your family.

It looks like John Roberts informed the registrar that his son died at home.  Not sure whether you have this information but the family are listed on the 1861 Census at Mount Pleasant, Conway -

John Roberts (Head) - b. 1812 - Engine Driver - Looks like Amlwch, Anglesey
Mary Roberts (Wife) - b. 1815 - Caernarvon, Caernarvonshire
Thomas Roberts (Son) - b. 1845 - Butcher - Bangor, Caernarvonshire
William Roberts (Son) - b. 1847 - Tailor - Bangor, Caernarvonshire

Lisa
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauren
the registrar would have had the job of recording details of all births, deaths, and marriages. It is unlikely that the registrar was related to the family in the certificate.
It looks like William died at home, as the family are living at Mount Pleasant in 1861
Mar :)

I did think so to be fair! There's only been one case where someone in my family died and the young nephew has put his signature down as the registrar but we suspected it was his job title, was still very weird! But thank You, I will have to keep looking  ???

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauren,

My understanding is that registrars were the people who obtained information of the death from the informant in your case the father John, and they were the ones who maintained a record and have done since 1837 of all births-marriages-deaths in their district (the information from those records were then indexed into quarters).  So finding the registrar most likely won't help you find information about your family.

It looks like John Roberts informed the registrar that his son died at home.  Not sure whether you have this information but the family are listed on the 1861 Census at Mount Pleasant, Conway -

John Roberts (Head) - b. 1812 - Engine Driver - Looks like Amlwch, Anglesey
Mary Roberts (Wife) - b. 1815 - Caernarvonshire
Thomas Roberts (Son) - b. 1845 - Butcher - Bangor, Caernarvonshire
William Roberts (Son) - b. 1847 - Tailor - Bangor, Caernarvonshire

Lisa

Hello Lisa, thank you for letting me know and for also providing the 1861 census! I have seen the census but it's anything after that, that I can not find :( which is a massive pain!! William died in 1862 but it's like the rest of the family/parents just fell off the face of the earth. I was hoping to find when they'd died but I'll keep searching :) thank you

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
It looks like the family are still at Mount Pleasant in 1871,but the parents ages are given as 65.

Regards
Roger

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
It looks like the family are still at Mount Pleasant in 1871,but the parents ages are given as 65.

Regards
Roger

thank you roger, i received Williams birth certificate today. From the death and birth certificate, could i find his mum and dads marriage? John Roberts and Mary Jones. there names seem to be really common.