Author Topic: Michael Keogh. poss joined Innerskilling Fusiliers in Oct 1892 or ????  (Read 1606 times)

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Keogh. poss joined Innerskilling Fusiliers in Oct 1892 or ????
« on: Sunday 26 November 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Michael Keogh.  Born Ireland 1864 Lived in Dublin, married and had two sons and three daughters with Elizabeth Clarke   Died in James St  Dublin  1934 and is buried in James St. Church, which has now become a distillery
A relative found a copy of medical Cert through Ancestry site, which might be him so we believe he joined  Innerskilling Fusiliers in Oct 1892

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Keogh. poss joined Innerskilling Fusiliers in Oct 1892 or ????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Michael Keogh on left

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Older with medals

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I suggested fabfamily Tree post the photo's here in the hope of getting the uniform's dated, I though maybe  late WWI, and wondered if anyone can make out the regiment of the younger man from his cap badge.
I thought the older man's uniform looked a bit strange, a bit lacking in any kind of identifying markings!
Also can anyone identify the medals on the second picture, or is a higher res needed?

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:47 GMT (UK) »
The attestation to which that excerpt relates is dated 19 October 1882 for a 21 year old Michael Keogh, so unless he lied about his age by three years this isn't your guy unless some of the other facts match up.

The next of kin noted on the form is Ellen Keogh of 34 Sir John Rogerson's Quay (I think that's what the last word is).

It also says he deserted 28 February 1886 with no further service thereafter so it is interesting in itself that the document is included in the WWI records.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
There might be a closer match in the Chelsea Pensioners records for a Michael Keogh born 1863 in Dublin of the Royal Innerskilling if some-one with a better subscription than mine is able to take a look.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have the names of his parents yet, tbh that is what I am trying  to find, but slight divertsion now to looking into his army history. Rather hoping he was not a deserter, but very difficult times.  Here's hoping someone can access the Chelsea Pensioner records and we'll discover why he had all those medals..

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 November 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Given the date of enlistment, which I think is about 1883, my guess is that he served on the sub-continent in India or Burma, or maybe even South Africa.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
The medals appear to be,left to right, the 1914 Star or 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. These are the standard campaign medals issued to all those with appropriate service. Isn't the correct spelling Inniskilling, just so as to avoid missing records when searching online etc?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)