Author Topic: BACON - ELLIOTT - ANDREWS (Osbournby / Leasingham / New Sleaford)  (Read 1839 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BACON - ELLIOTT - ANDREWS (Osbournby / Leasingham / New Sleaford)
« on: Monday 27 November 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, I am pleased to announce that recent DNA results have confirmed one of my illegitimate lines to be that of BACON in Osbournby. My 3xGGF went by the name of John SMITH from abt 1849, but was really John BACON. Consequently, I am interested to hear from anyone with these similar interests in this LIN area 1750-1850:

My 3xGGPs John BACON of Osbournby & Scott Willoughby (1820-93)
My 4xGGPs Martin BACON (1796-89) / Mary ELLIOTT of Osbournby & Gosberton. Mary is the d/o John ELLIOTT & Elizabeth ANDREWS (1770-1827) of Leasingham.
My 5xGGPs John BACON (c1765-1846) of unknown and Margaret ROSE of the Isle of Ely, CAM.

I have specific questions, due to lack of further records in the area, if anyone has clues to the origins of both John BACON of Osbournby (c1762) & John ELLIOTT of Leasingham (c1765-bef 1827).

If anyone has access to the original marriage record of John & Elizabeth, above, on 28 Jun 1789 at Sleaford St Denys to clarify the place identification for following transcription:
John was given of Bran* (no local name found to fit)
Elizabeth of Holdington, New Sleaford (not found on maps).

Thanks.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BACON - ELLIOTT - ANDREWS (Osbournby / Leasingham / New Sleaford)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
New Sleaford is shown on old maps, an area north of Sleaford town
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/506907/346403/10/100250

Register shows the place of abode to be Brauncewell, 3-4 miles north of Sleaford.

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=624573&iid=324226

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=504580&Y=349800&A=Y&Z=126

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant. Thanks for the prompt response, Geoff-E.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
We now have multiple atDNA connections between the various VENESS branches in Birmingham and DNA proof we're all from John BACON of Lincolnshire (1st & 3rd child by Elizabeth VENESS), who called himself SMITH from abt 1849.
The popularity of Ancestry DNA testing has ensured that there are several DNA matches to John's father, Martin BACON in Lincolnshire, both through BACON descendants in the UK and emigrant families in the US, i.e. the BACON = ELLIOTT marriage as the MRCA for all concerned.
This puts the 170-year-old uncertainty over legitimacy to bed.
Facebook users can follow my research blog for updates, otherwise the main research page has been updated.
http://creativegraces.net/genindex/veness.html

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, I am pleased to announce that recent DNA results have confirmed one of my illegitimate lines to be that of BACON in Osbournby. My 3xGGF went by the name of John SMITH from abt 1849, but was really John BACON. Consequently, I am interested to hear from anyone with these similar interests in this LIN area 1750-1850:

My 3xGGPs John BACON of Osbournby & Scott Willoughby (1820-93)
My 4xGGPs Martin BACON (1796-89) / Mary ELLIOTT of Osbournby & Gosberton. Mary is the d/o John ELLIOTT & Elizabeth ANDREWS (1770-1827) of Leasingham.
My 5xGGPs John BACON (c1765-1846) of unknown and Margaret ROSE of the Isle of Ely, CAM.

I have specific questions, due to lack of further records in the area, if anyone has clues to the origins of both John BACON of Osbournby (c1762) & John ELLIOTT of Leasingham (c1765-bef 1827).

If anyone has access to the original marriage record of John & Elizabeth, above, on 28 Jun 1789 at Sleaford St Denys to clarify the place identification for following transcription:
John was given of Bran* (no local name found to fit)
Elizabeth of Holdington, New Sleaford (not found on maps).

Thanks.

I have BACON ancestry from the same region, a nearby village. Please could I have your GEDmatch number masgrace, just in case there is any matching DNA. Thanks
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angelfish:
The current BACON project database consists of 10 proven matches on Ancestry, plus 4 matches with unknown connections. 9 going back to MRCA my 4xGGPs, Martin BACON (1796-89) / Mary ELLIOTT of Osbournby & Gosberton, and importantly 1 to Martin's parents, my 5xGGPs John BACON (c1765-1846) of unknown and Margaret ROSE. Most of these come via the families that left Lincolnshire for the US. There is also one family in Liverpool and my cousins through VENESS in Birmingham.
Proven relationships on paper are 2x 4C, 4x 4C1R, 1x 4C2R, 2x 5C, 1x 5C1R
So far, I have persuaded 2 of these to upload their data to GEDmatch, so these are the three GEDmatch numbers of relevance, mine first:
Z424787, T143724, A848158
If you PM me, we can exchange emails and I can share analyses. I have not been able to prove John BACON's origins as there are many of that name in the area. While there are numerous BACON families in the area, none of the lines I have looked at appear to connect to mine. I have hoped some DNA link may come along, so thanks for your approach.
All these matches are also documented in my Ancestry tree.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
No matches.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk