Author Topic: Can anyone find Annabel Nicholson?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone find Annabel Nicholson?
« on: Monday 27 November 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to get a little personal detail about Annabel Nicholson but am really struggling to find her.

I know she married Charles English on the 17th of Jan 1910 in South Shields. I know they had two children, James William English born in 1910 and Charles English born 25th Oct 1915.

I know on the 1911 census she is named as Isabella and born in North Shields but Annabel on the soldiers register of effects and wedding GRO index. I know the POB on the 1911 census can quite often have been the place where they are living at the time so I'm not convinced about that one.

Charles English died at Ypres in 1915 and she remarried in 1916, again in South Shields to Robert Ramshaw who joined up then deserted in 1917. I know she and Robert had a son also called Robert in 1917.

I have found all of this out through records on her two husbands but what I can't find is her on her own.

I'd really like to add her date and place of birth and I'd like to know if she stayed with Robert.

I have tried doing a free search of the 1939 register but as I don't know which of two first names or three possible surnames she is using I'm struggling to find her either on that or just in general.

Can anyone help?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find Annabel Nicholson?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
It's not an answer to your question, but I see another possible child for the Ramshaw marriage:

Birth reg, Sep qtr 1919 South Shields: Mary R Ramshaw, mother's maiden name Nicholson

Death reg, Sep qtr 1921 South Shields: Mary Robinson Ramshaw, aged 2.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

What ages have you found for her ?
I've seen an Annabel Nicholson birth Oct 1892 Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland   :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 Register(free search) has an Isabella Ramshaw birth year 1894 ,a Robert Ramshaw(b. 1895) is also on the record , Wallsend Northumberland.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

What ages have you found for her ?
I've seen an Annabel Nicholson birth Oct 1892 Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland   :-\

This Annabel(l) doesn't seem to have married before 1911.

A free index search suggests Isabella English is 21 in 1911.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 November 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
According to South Tyneside Registrars Indexes, the first marriage to Charles English has a ref of R which is likely to be a register office or a registrar attended (possibly non conformist) marriage.
The second marriage to Robert Ramshaw has a reference of CK 12 which according to their code list was St Mary Tyne Dock. If the library or TWAS has those records on microfilm you should be able to find her Dad's name from the record which would help you to search for her prior to her marriage (with a bit of luck a sibling may have been a witness which would improve the search)

I'd start with that and report back.

Boo

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
From Dusty Docs it looks like the marriage was 10th August 1916 St Mary South Shields , witness's
names George Willam Baker and Sarah A Abbot.
(UK Marriage Witnesses Database)

ev

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

By happy coincidence I'm working in South Shields today so have managed to read your replies then nip to the library.

I now have the 1939 register that ev referred to and I think that probably is them, the ages would be about right and his occupation is similar to his pre WW1 job. It's a pity you can't get on Ancestry's fold 3 in the library as I want his court martial record as well, that will have to be something for the next free access they do.

I asked about the marriage code and they said the same that is was probably a registrar one. I missed the one for her second marriage but I'll have a look at it later when I can go back over.

Thanks for all the help again,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
From Dusty Docs it looks like the marriage was 10th August 1916 St Mary South Shields , witness's
names George Willam Baker and Sarah A Abbot.
(UK Marriage Witnesses Database)

ev

Ev, I've never seen that site before but it's in my favorites now.

Michael