Author Topic: trying to find out where my great grandmother Frances Jones was born  (Read 6599 times)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
trying to find out where my great grandmother Frances Jones was born
« on: Monday 27 November 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello  everyone.
Please can you help me with something? I've been trying to find out where my great granmother Frances Jones was born and where her son was born. I'm having trouble trying to find out. I seem to be going round in circles.
I'm going by what my mum told me and what I have recently found out. But not where they both was. Actually born.
My great gran. Frances Jones had siblings brothers and sisters. But dob's unknown. My grandad Alfred evan Jones. Is the son of Frances Jones.
My great gran Frances Jones was born 12th of march. I'm not sure if it was 1887 /1890's it's round about that year. My mum said her gran might have been born 1887. And she was unmarried and never married. And only had one child who was Alfred Evan Jones. He was born 27th September 1910. But what I found out he was registered until 1914. So they might think he was actually born in 1914.
According to Manchester register office in England. They said it's possible my grandads mum was embarrassed to register his birth as she had him out of wedlock. Or she could have completely forgotten to register him until 1914.

My mum mentioned something about her dad being in Rhos on sea. I think she said he was born there.
Here is where I get confused.
My mum told me her gran was living in England. And she asked her employer can she bring her son to stay with her as she was living in where she was working. Her employer ask how old her son was. She said 15. And she sent for her son. So there's this big gap. Where was my grandad living or living with while his mum was over in England working. ?
My mum had a good memory. But for the last few months she usually got confused with things or she forgot or got mixed up. Her memory was going like it would have been at her somone her age.
I only wish that I had enough time to ask her about her gran and her dad. She only told me bits at a time.

Anyway please can you help me find out where my grandad was born and if my great gran was born as well..
Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it
Your's sincerely
Mrs Dorothy Lucas

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Please can you give all the details from Alfred Evan Jones birth certificate

Is he the Alfred Evan Jones recorded as born 17/09/1910 and died 9/08/1946 buried in the Southern cemetery in Manchester?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Is this his birth registration  :-\

Sep qtr 1914 
Alfred E Jones  mothers maiden name  Jones   
Chorlton reg district    8c   1401

Who did he marry & when
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
If your Alfred Evan Jones is the one in Southern Cemetery also in the grave is William Hopwood Jones born about 1869 and died in 1907

William Hopwood Jones married Ellen Tomlinson in Warrington 5 November 1888

In 1891 the couple are at 42 Brick Street Warrington they have 2 children George aded 1 and Frances 3 weeks. William is a bootmaker.

The daughter Frances was born 11 March 1891 and christened 29 March 1891in Warrington

However to prove this is correct you need to give us some definite information Alfred's birth certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate would be good!

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
Thank you for your e-mail.
My grandad  married  my  granma  in about  1933. I was told by registra office in wales. That she had found  a name  for  Alfred evan Jones. And eveline shulman. And marriage Quarter  December  1933. Which I don't understand.
I don't understand  the meaning of Quarters. Which is confusing me. I keep thinking I'm  being  told the wrong  information.  I know  my grandad  is buried in southern cemetery.

My grandads  mum  was called  Frances Jones. She never married and only had  1 child  which was my grandad.
I also  know  my great gran  passed away in hattersly. And was found behind her front door. By who I don't know.

If there is anything  you can help me with about  both my  great gran  Frances Jones  and  my grandad.  I would  really appreciate it.  I don't even  know  where my mum's  birth mum  was actually born. As there is no trace of her in Scotland. Where my mum said she was born. My mum's mum  did live in England  until  the late  1950's. She moved to Scotland. Where she stayed  until she died in 1998.
Anyway  thank you again.  As I say  I would  really  appreciate any help and anything on my  mum's  family.
 Thank you

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Marriage December qtr 1933 
Jones    Alfred E   
Schulman    Eveline   
Manchester S.    8d   357

This is from the index of marriages of the General Register Office in England (Southport, Lancashire) normally referred to on here as the GRO.  The indexes are compiled in Quarters.  December qtr would normally mean that the marriage took place in the 3 months leading up to 31 December ie October/November/December

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi  again,
Thank you for your other  message.
I can't believe  it. My mum was telling me about a relative  called  Alfred william Hopwood Jones.. she called him grandad pop.  My mum said her gran  Frances Jones  was born 12th of march. But didn't know what year. Maybe  she was out by a day. 
I can't  believe  that  I'm hopefully  on my way to find my grandad  and his mum.

I have  applied  for  my grandparents marriage certificate at the registra office in Manchester.  I'm just waiting for it to arrive.  I don't  know where  abouts my grandad was born.  As there is no trace of him in wales.  My mum said he was born Rhos on sea.  But has no idea where. 
I can't ask my mum. Because I lost her in march  this year. 
I would really like to finish off what I started for her even though she isn't  here. I don't  want to give up.
Thank you again for your help.I do really appreciate it.
Thank you

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi  once again.
 The lady at Wales register office  said she found  a Alfred evan Jones and shulman
 And said  she thinks  Manchester  S . Sounds  as if it means  Manchester  South.

Now I'm  worried  if the registra office in Manchester.  Would  be able  to  send  my grandparents marriage certificate.  Because  I said  to them at the office.  I was told December  Quarter. 1933. And Manchester  s  .

I have hopefully  sent you what I was sent by Alison from Wales register office.
And I hope that it makes sense.
Thank you again for your help

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
This may be Frances in 1911 Llandrillo Yn Rhos her place of birth Warrington
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7VK-N4G