Author Topic: trying to find out where my great grandmother Frances Jones was born  (Read 6607 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
When I wanted to check see if my grans  birth year was  wright.  I did my sums  and it came back  she was born 1909.when she was actually born 1911.  Which is on her death certificate. And my mum told me.

I think what you have to remember, as has been said earlier, you can't always go on what family members say as things get changed or distorted. In earlier times people weren't so concerned with dates as we are - they didn't have to give their date of birth on practically every form as we do!

I would guess the reason she "lost" 2 years was that she was older that her husband, so by doing that it made them appear nearer in age. Remember as well that death certificates are only as good as the information given by the person who registers the death. So if the person who registered her death thought she was born 1911, that is what would go on the certificate. Really, date wise, death certificates are the most unreliable.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
 Hi again.
I had to do this when my mum passed away. 
It was really  strange.  Me having to register my mum. Everything  I told  them at the time is actually on her death certificate.  So that's  when I thought  I do similar on my grandparents marriage certificate and double check the years they was born.  My grandad Alfred evan Jones  was  born 1914 which some  members  have found out for  me. But my grans  was afew year's out.
It is strange  how  things are.