Author Topic: Alexander Bond born about 1816  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Bond born about 1816
« on: Monday 27 November 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
For at least 12 years I've been trying to find a family friend's great grandfather. As the friend nears her century I think time could be running out.

What I've found out

1841 census Alexander Bond in Middlesborough as a lodger born in the county and age given as 25

18 October 1841 Parish Church Manchester
Alexander Bond joiner father Alexander Bond Innkeeper married Jane Skelton

1843 a son Richard was born in Salford
1845 a son James was born in Carlisle (Jane's home town) father Alexander Bond joiner

1851 census George Alexander Bond joiner bachelor born Durham a lodger in Preston

18 April 1853 St Augustine RC church Preston George Alexander Bond joiner bachelor married Amy Alice Smith he states his father Alexander Bond a publican and that he is deceased. The actual RC register gives no mother's name

1857 Jane Skelton remarries using her sister's name and her own maiden name stating she is a spinster

1861 census George Alexander Bond in Ardwick Manchester as a joiner born in Durham

1878 dies as George Alexander Bond in Prestwich

We, the family friend and I feel that Alexander and George Alexander are the same person as there are 2 many similarities. They thought bigamy in the family was great!

I'd dearly love to be able to find (George) Alexander's birth and his father Alexander Bond so would be grateful for any help. I did think I'd found a family in Durham but their Alexander Bond was too young.

Many thanks

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Bond born about 1816
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
The major problem finding this baptism is that the family appear to be Roman Catholic. If that is the case - it may be worth checking with Durham Archives to see if they hold any RC Parish Registers.

In addition - do we know where the father was a Publican? Many archives hold licences and maybe Alexander Bond had a licence.

Just also try on line newspapers for Alexander Bond - it cannot be that common a name -- you may just come up with a useful snippet.

I am sure others will have better ideas though.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't considered that (George ) might be RC, his first marriage was Church of England and the first child was I think christened in a C of E church.

I have no idea where Alexander was an innkeeper.

Thanks for your ideas I'll investigate RC records in Durham.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I only picked up the RC because of the marriage at the RC Church in Preston. So I may be wrong about that - it may simply have been the bride who was RC.

From 1837 people could marry in RC Churches with a Registrar present -- prior to that everyone 'non-conformist' except Quakers and Jews had to marry in a C of E Church. On re-reading your initial post I see that they married at C of E in 1841 - so ignore my assumption that the groom was RC! (We should never assume!)

Just another thought though - the main Parish Church in Manchester (now the Cathedral) was quite famous for holding bulk marriages - which of course would be cheaper. This soesn't solve your problem though!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Noticed that 1871 wasn't there so just in case

1871 as joiner

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD6B-TS6

a marriage for his son Albert Edward is online

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l3u/

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I've just found an Alexander Bond listed as a victualler in the Magpie in Breighton in Yorkshire in an 1820 directory.

Now trying to see if he could relate to the Alexander Bond born about 1816 saying born in Yorkshire in 1841 and Durham in 1851 and 1861 but I think it will have to wait for tomorrow now.

PS thank you for the 1871 census

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Directory of Breighton part of the Parish of Bubwith, 5 miles NW of Howden year 1822
Alexander Bond, Vict. Magpie

Population of the village 179

St Aloysius Church, Ardwick Lane
George Richard Bond son of Alexander Bond and Amaelie formerly Smyth born 18 May 1860 baptized 20 May 1860
Same church
Thomas William Bond son of Alexander Bond and Emmae Alicie formerly Smyth born 29 August 1862 baptized 7 September 1862

Isn't this the George R age 1 in 1861 with father listed as George Alex Bond and mother Amy.

If so, in church he is Alexander and on the census George Alexander.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's him, I suspect he added the George on what he thought was a  "legal document' but that really he was just Alexander.

It's his past I'm really interested in but there again if I found descendants from his second marriage they might know something but he probably kept his past a secret.He must have left his first wife very soon after his second son was born as that son didn't know his father's name.