Author Topic: Looking for Clara Haney, burned to death in Tennessee  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Clara Haney, burned to death in Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
It appears that Clara Morris Fine passed away in 1929 (if a family tree is correct).

Wrong person.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline annafine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if you have seen this one yet, but here is another one with more detail:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn89058216/1913-05-08/ed-1/seq-1/

Also this one claims that three of the deaths were thought to have actually occurred:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/26849517/?spot=4237011

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, the first one I had seen, the second I didn't.

It is midday here; I better stop researching for awhile so that I can get some things done.  ;)  I will be back either a bit later, or tonight.  While I am stepping away, I may think of other things to try.

In the meantime, would you know the name of any local (bigger city?) newspapers that might have run the initial reports about her death, please?  Perhaps she wasn't listed by name in the first few reports, as they initially may not have been able to identify her.  I've tried searching for initial newspaper articles without including her name, but even that doesn't help.  I would think, unless the area was fairly rural that there would have been some mention of the death?  :-\  If she was found in the cabin, perhaps there would have been something mentioned about a cabin/house catching fire?

PS  I've not yet looked for your ancestor's year of birth (yes, I do know his name).   ;)  May I ask, please, approximately when he was born?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline annafine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, the first one I had seen, the second I didn't.

It is midday here; I better stop researching for awhile so that I can get some things done.  ;)  I will be back either a bit later, or tonight.  While I am stepping away, I may think of other things to try.

In the meantime, would you know the name of any local (bigger city?) newspapers that might have run the initial reports about her death, please?  Perhaps she wasn't listed by name in the first few reports, as they initially may not have been able to identify her.  I've tried searching for initial newspaper articles without including her name, but even that doesn't help.  I would think, unless the area was fairly rural that there would have been some mention of the death?  :-\  If she was found in the cabin, perhaps there would have been something mentioned about a cabin/house catching fire?

PS  I've not yet looked for your ancestor's year of birth (yes, I do know his name).   ;)  May I ask, please, approximately when he was born?

;) Sounds good.

The closest larger city is Knoxville, and it's possible this could have been reported in Nashville or Asheville, NC. Morristown is another city nearby that I know has good papers. I will start looking into those...

His birth year was approximated 1862. There's another William Fine born around that time, so it can get confusing...

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Still no luck.  I've even tried searching without using her name.   :-\