Author Topic: Need help to identify marking in my Grandmother's watch.  (Read 646 times)

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to identify marking in my Grandmother's watch.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
The LA mark looks like that of the City Watch Case Co Ltd (Louis Arnould) - see http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/London-L.html
Yes I think you're right.
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I think the hallmark is for 1870,

Mike

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
The repairers marks I've found on our old watches have all been within the case. It looks rather similar to a 1930s watch my grandmother had, that shape seemed popular, with a really thin sort of corded / rounded leather rather cocktail-like strap passed through the bits on the watch case itself....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)