Author Topic: MM research - is there anything else I can do?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: MM research - is there anything else I can do?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
1st. Northants were in the 2nd. Brigade.
MaxD mentioned Oct. 1918 so I've linked to that.
From LLT:
1st Battalion
August 1914 : in Blackdown near Aldershot under command of 2nd Brigade in 1st Division.
13 August 1914 : landed at Le Havre.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
1st. Northants were in the 2nd. Brigade.
MaxD mentioned Oct. 1918 so I've linked to that.
From LLT:
1st Battalion
August 1914 : in Blackdown near Aldershot under command of 2nd Brigade in 1st Division.
13 August 1914 : landed at Le Havre.

OK.  Making a bit more sense now!

Thanks for bearing with me  :-*

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim - had to pop out for a rub down with an oily rag.

STG - Jim's link puts you at 1 October, go back a bit to 1 September (page 459 of 623) and then forward to the 18th etc.  The brigade diary is recounting the operations of its 3 battalions, Northants, Sussex and Kings Royal Rifle Corps plus a trench mortar battery and a machine gun battalion.  There is pretty much continuous action till the 28th.  The contrast in detail between this diary and the battalion diary is quite marked and while (if you will excuse me sayng so) you may not entirely follow all the military stuff, the amount of detail I hope conveys a picture of a fairly intense period of fighting..  If you carry on to page 502 you will find the first of three congratulatory messages referring to the action of 18/19.  There are others at pages 512/513 referring to the latter part of the action.  The Sep to Oct pages are interspersed also with accounts of the operations written after the events. 

The first two weeks of October, the brigade was out of the line hence my (hopefully educated) guess that it was for the September actions  that your man was recognised.  The action in which he was killed was too late to allow the submission through brigade to division to corps and back again by 5 November.

MaxD

There'll be questions at the end  :)
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
STG - if you'd like to look at the next level up, the 1st Division A & Q Diary, this link (I've not mastered short links!)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1238_0-00000?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=43112_1238_0-00167
 takes you to the first October list of honours and awards published in routine orders  most days.  If you skim through them and continue on to 26 November, you will get a sense of the number of awards made for the previous couple of months.  There was of course a submission/citation for each one going up the chain but apart from the major honours, these were not kept for posterity and, in any event, probably above division, they became a list of names only as the higher commander would trust the judgement of the ones who made the submission.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
The 'Evening Despatch' newspaper reported his dearh in Dec 18.  An article on the front page of the same paper from June 1917 includes pictures of the six serving sons feom the family as well as the parents.   The paper only seems to have been digitised up to the end of 1918 but I would check early 1919 editions as the family had a high profile locally, you may find a mention.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The 'Evening Despatch' newspaper reported his dearh in Dec 18.  An article on the front page of the same paper from June 1917 includes pictures of the six serving sons feom the family as well as the parents.   The paper only seems to have been digitised up to the end of 1918 but I would check early 1919 editions as the family had a high profile locally, you may find a mention.

Oooh!  I already had the June 1917 newspaper cutting, but not the Dec 1918 one, which has a much clearer photo of Vincent than the 1917 one, so that's just lovely! 

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.  :-*

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
STG - if you'd like to look at the next level up, the 1st Division A & Q Diary, this link (I've not mastered short links!)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1238_0-00000?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=43112_1238_0-00167
 takes you to the first October list of honours and awards published in routine orders  most days.  If you skim through them and continue on to 26 November, you will get a sense of the number of awards made for the previous couple of months.  There was of course a submission/citation for each one going up the chain but apart from the major honours, these were not kept for posterity and, in any event, probably above division, they became a list of names only as the higher commander would trust the judgement of the ones who made the submission.

MaxD

You are such a poppet! 

Thank you soooo much  :-*

STG