Author Topic: Latin land surrender 1722  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Latin land surrender 1722
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 December 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
G'day Bookbox,

Words realy can't convey how grateful I am for your help in understanding the meaning of these documents. Your work has now confirmed my thoughts on William Ma(y)son and Mary being my 9X great-grandparents and helped in my understanding of just where some of the properties that were described in the will of John Mason jnr. had originated from.

It is possible that Jane Lodge was from Ireland so perhaps the phrase might be applying to her in this case. I am already looking into this further and will let you know what I find out. Many thanks!

Bruce.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
You're most welcome. It's impressive that you've got back so far. Yes, do please keep us updated.

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Back once more this time with what looks very much like the original acquisition of this same property by William Mayson, as once again William Thursby and Thomas Mascall are mentioned.

I don't have a precise date for it nor can I make one out but this comes from the first batch of 6 covering the three years 26 Apr 1680 - 12 Oct 1682 so probably Apr-Jul 1680.

It appears that William Dobson and Lawrence Toward may have been the persons surrendering. Once again I would greatly appreciate the transcription and translation.

Bruce.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Your analysis is correct, and the wording is very similar. As you say, there is no date here, so it's probably higher up the page, or on an earlier page.

=====

Ad hanc Cur(iam) ven(it) Will(elm)us Mayson Et hic in plena Cur(ia) Cora(m) Joh(ann)e Jefferson Deput(ato) Nich(ola)i Cob Ar(migeri)

Sen(escal)li Et cepit de D(omi)no unu(m) dom(um) & gardin(um) a retro adjacen(tem) nunc in possessione Will(el)mi Dobson que

p(re)missa abuttant(ia) sup(er) dom(um) Will(el)mi Thursby ex p(ar)te occidental(i) dom(um) Thome Mascall gen(erosi) ex p(ar)te Australi

Ac etia(m) una(m) peci(am) terr(e) vocat(e) a Frontstead & gardin(um) eid(em) adjacent(em) adjungen(tem) p(re)d(ictum) dom(um) ex p(ar)te

occidental(i) In quib(us) Will(elm)us Dobson & Lawrencius Toward inde h(ab)entes jus totu(m) jus statu(m) tit(u)lu(m)

clam(eum) interesse & demand(a) s(uum?) sursu(m) redd(iderunt) & quiet(e) clam(averunt) in manus D(omi)ni ad opus & usu(m) p(re)d(icti) Will(elm)i

Mayson H(ab)end(um) eid(em) Will(elm)o Mayson & sequel(is) suis in jure s(e)c(un)du(m) Cons(uetudinem) Cur(ie) Redd(endo) inde p(er) annu(m) ad

ter(m)i(n)os usual(es) ut prius redd(ere) soleb(a)t Et fac(iendo) D(omi)no & vicin(is) q(ue) incumb(un)t p(er)pleg(ium) &c.

Dimissio – viijd
Redd(itus) viijd

To this court came William Mayson, and in this full court before John Jefferson, Deputy of Nicholas Cob esquire, Steward, he received from the lord one house and a garden adjoining it at the back, now in the possession of William Dobson, the premisses abutting onto the house of William Thursby on the west side (and) the house of Thomas Mascall, gentleman, on the south side; and also one piece of land called a frontstead and a garden next to the same, adjoining the aforesaid house on the west side; which William Dobson and Lawrence Toward, who then held all the right, estate, title, claim, interest and demand, surrendered and quitclaimed into the hands of the lord for the use and behoof of the aforesaid William Mayson, to hold to the same William Mayson and his successors by right according to the custom of the court, paying (rent) thenceforth each year on the usual dates as previously accustomed; and he gave a pledge to the lord and to nearby occupants etc.

(in the margin)
Handing-over – 8d
Rent 8d

=====
ADDED - in my replies ##1, 7 and 8 above, the word before interesse should be clam(eum) each time, sorry.

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 13:55 GMT (UK) »
G'day Bookbox,

I checked through the 1680-1682 documents again but was unable to see anything that resembled a date. They are in six batches of roughly equal size that are arranged in the same village order and I now think it is more prbable that this one was for the period from Easter - Michaelmas 1680.

With respect to the phrase "outside the court at the City of Durham" I have found it used in a great number of other memoranda in the same place just after the name/s of the person/s appearing. I have contacted the Durham University Library, which houses all these wonderfull Halmote Court documents, but I haven't heard anything back frrom them yet. I think that this may have been their way of describing how the surrender and admission took place under the Halmote Court system. 

Thanks once again for all your help transcribing and translating these documents. It is very much appreciated.

Bruce.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
With respect to the phrase "outside the court at the City of Durham" I have found it used in a great number of other memoranda in the same place just after the name/s of the person/s appearing ... I think that this may have been their way of describing how the surrender and admission took place under the Halmote Court system.

Yes, that would seem to make sense. Thanks for letting us know.