Author Topic: FindMyPast Friday's. General opinions.  (Read 8483 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast Friday's. General opinions.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 December 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast owned by D C Thomson

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if the digital copies were costing too much because they seem to be sticking to transcriptions more and more.

More likely they're not getting the business to digitise the records but have been given permission for transcripts.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 December 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
TGIF :D I recently signed up for a free account. I get excited when I find one of my ancestors records on FMPF. until I try to view it and they want me to pay for it. :P

I am getting the emails for Fridays and others offering me discount on membership. ;D

I have used their site to build my family tree
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I don't get emails, though I nearly always check on Fridays. Sometimes it may be later in the weekend when I get a chance. The person who puts the blog entry on often does it in a hurry and makes blunders, such as referring to the wrong dataset in the link, or using findmypast.com rather than findmypast.co.uk. The blog posts used to be at midnight, but now appear somewhere around UK breakfast time.

Occasionally there are items which are relevant, and I have a World sub, which lets me follow my one-name study. Some databases, such as PERSI, remain stubbornly irrelevant to my research, being heavily US-centric, but are regularly updated with tens of thousands of records per year.

Many of the recent UK records appear to be transcriptions done by local Family History Societies, unfortunately with no links to images. Much better than nothing, but we all prefer to see at least an image of the original.

At least FindMyPast's blog page tells you something about what has been added to an existing dataset, unlike Ancestry, where the "what's new" just tells you that some dataset has been "updated". Have they found a missing part of a census down the back of a filing cabinet, or have they been fixing transcription errors, however unlikely that may seem?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 December 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I do find that a lot of their bulk releases seem to be ones that are already online elsewhere. This Friday they released some British and Irish emigrant records to USA and Canada but very few of them are new ones, they seem to be censuses, passenger lists etc that are already available on other websites, hence why I can find FindMyPast Fridays disappointing at the best of times. But you cannot please everyone all the time.  :(
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 December 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »

You must be getting my emails then, Clarkey500!! I used to get them once upon a time but not for ages now.

I thought FindMyPast did a sterling job with Yorkshire, Shropshire and Staffordshire PRs - digital images and all! My guess is that they use staff rather than volunteers and that they may not be British (is FindMyPast American owned?) as they made quite a few mistakes with names of parishes etc that you'd expect from someone who didn't know the area in question. At one time, I'd email them and point these out but they got quite defensive about it so I don't bother any more. I just try to figure it out for myself.

No it is a Scottish company with offices in London as well.

I'm wondering if the digital copies were costing too much because they seem to be sticking to transcriptions more and more.

I think you will find that is more down to supply and demand.
There is a big demand for more records but digitising and transcribing/indexing take a huge amount of manpower.
On the other hand many Family History Societies have found they can combat the falling membership numbers and sales by licensing their transcripts to Findmypast.
Each time a transcript is viewed the relevant FHS gets a royalty fee, this means you can help FHS by viewing the online records even if you cannot get to their meetings.
Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 December 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I have recently started helping out and becoming a transcriber for Essex for FreeREG via the SEAX online images but not sure if FindMyPast transcribing is done by volunteers or employees of the company. I suppose you have to live near a certain RO to get access to the parish records (on microfilm and fiche) that are not yet online in order to transcribe.

Coombs - I don't suppose you would know whether there are any plans to transcribe Essex Catholic records ?  SEAX does hold some, but they haven't been digitised.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 December 17 18:23 GMT (UK) »

Many of the recent UK records appear to be transcriptions done by local Family History Societies, unfortunately with no links to images. Much better than nothing, but we all prefer to see at least an image of the original.

FindMyPast has the transcript for a parish in Wiltshire I'm interested in.  It's easy to search for people on FindMyPast in this parish.  Ancestry has the images, but with many transcription errors, so very difficult to find the right people.  So I use FindMyPast to find the date and then browse the images at Ancestry until I pin it down.

To be fair, the writing is very difficult to read.  I sent an image to to a relative to show him his gtgt-grandfather's baptism in the 1770s.  He couldn't see it.  I had to explain it was two thirds down the page and which records were directly above and below it before he found it.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 December 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid this page is out of date now but in the past I phoned every County archive in England to find out if they supplied "their" parish registers on microfiche or microfilm this page was the result

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l5s/

Even today with online companies digitising records and FHS transcribing records the microfiche and microfilm I bought for the parishes I was interested in still hold a number of years not digitised or transcribed online.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.