Author Topic: For seamen, Certificate number and Ticket number, difference  (Read 422 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
For seamen, Certificate number and Ticket number, difference
« on: Tuesday 28 November 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
For a seafaring ancestor I have records of Certificate number and Ticket number, but what is the  difference?

Martin

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: For seamen, Certificate number and Ticket number, difference
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Any seaman could/would get a register ticket. Certificates were issued to those who either passed examinations for higher qualifications or who were grandfathered for a cert based on years of experience.

If your ancestor had a cert, you will probably find him in the "UK Masters and Mates" database at Ancestry. Once the search engine takes you to the cert, use the forward and backwards scroll arrows to see all the pages in his file. Quite often the file includes a "Record of Service" listing all his previous experience to date - vessel names, dates aboard, ranks aboard, types of voyages. Sometimes there are also baptismal certificates and letters of reccommendation.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: For seamen, Certificate number and Ticket number, difference
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Westoe, the man in question was a Ship's Master.  I understand now.  I look forward to my next Ancestry session at the library.

Martin