Author Topic: Khaki beret issue in WW2  (Read 594 times)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Khaki beret issue in WW2
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
In the period we are talking about, a Forage cap has a peak, also called a service dress cap.  Side hat is (one of the) familiar term for ShaunJ's cap, field service.  The khaki beret was cap, general service or cap, ridiculous.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
That's made me chuckle, 'cap ridiculous'. My husband also told me that some soldiers boiled their berets too long, shrinking them too much, when indeed they must have looked even more ridiculous!
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely right - goes with shaving the "hair" off the inside of battledress trousers and smearing soap along the inside of the crease to make the crease sharper when ironed and "ironing" the bobbles off the surface of "boots ammunition" to make a smooth surface ready to be bulled.  Happy days.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia