Author Topic: Register of Testaments - some explanation required, please  (Read 766 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Register of Testaments - some explanation required, please
« on: Wednesday 29 November 17 05:33 GMT (UK) »
I stumbled across this most useful source almost incidentally. Specific to Edinburgh, but I am posting it in the general Scotland forum as I suspect that it's not peculiar to one city.

The Commissariat Record of Edinburgh - Register of Testaments (1899). https://archive.org/stream/scottishrecordso03scotuoft#page/n9/mode/2up

I'm assuming that its a record of people's wills, but what I'm not clear on is what the dates in the right hand column are likely to mean - would that be the date that the will was made, or executed, or...?

The one I am looking at - "Cunninghame... David, late baker in Edinburgh" - says "See Kirkland, Elizabeth", but both are dated 21 May 1794.

Only a few are described as "late", although some widow(er)s are described as "relicts".

Any ideas?

Edit: David is shown as deceased on the marriage register of his daughter, on 19 Oct 1781 - so well before this May 1794 date. Could E. Kirkland perhaps have died on the later date?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Testaments - some explanation required, please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
What is recorded varies considerably. You could have a "testament testamentar" containing a will or a "testament dative" which does not contain one. Both usually contain an inventory of assets and debts. They can be recorded a considerable time after the death itself. You have to read the full document to see. The date is probably the date of recording.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
What is recorded varies considerably. You could have a "testament testamentar" containing a will or a "testament dative" which does not contain one. Both usually contain an inventory of assets and debts. They can be recorded a considerable time after the death itself. You have to read the full document to see. The date is probably the date of recording.

Okay - thanks very much for that. I will have a look tomorrow and see if the will is recorded or available on ScotlandsPeople.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if these are your man and his father?

Edinburgh burgess roll:

Cunningham, David, junior, baker, Burgess, in right of his father, David Cunningham, senior, baker, Burgess ........... 14th September 1774

Edinburgh Apprentices:

Cunningham, David, son to David Cunningham in Lomphoy, prentice to John Allan, baxter, Burgess .......... 28th March 1739

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if these are your man and his father?

Edinburgh burgess roll:

Cunningham, David, junior, baker, Burgess, in right of his father, David Cunningham, senior, baker, Burgess ........... 14th September 1774

Edinburgh Apprentices:

Cunningham, David, son to David Cunningham in Lomphoy, prentice to John Allan, baxter, Burgess .......... 28th March 1739

Ah, thanks for that. That does seem likely, although there may be 3 generations of Davids...? (Mostly spelt Cuningham in the records, but also Cuninghame and Cunningham.)
Currently I have:
1. the youngest born in 1755 (no record of later life as yet - his sister Elisabeth is my line so I have been concentrating on that).
2. his father David who must have been born around the 1720s. Died before the marriage of his daughter Elisabeth in 1781, and I have found the likely death record, 1775.
3. I am still trying to establish 2's parents, but have found one possible with a father David:
Name            David Cunningham
Gender    Male
Christening Date   24 Aug 1725
Christening Place   , CURRIE, MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
Birth Date   15 Aug 1725
Father's Name   David Cunningham
Mother's Name   Agnes Newton
- and his second daughter is called Agnes, so this may be add slightly to the weight of that one. The other two which match best have differently-named fathers.

Does the first one mean that there were two Davids, both bakers, in 1774? - Davids 1 & 2 above?
And the second, a David, son of David, who becomes/is an apprentice to John Allen in 1739? - David 2, who is a son of a David (3), probably not a baker himself?
Is Lomphoy a place? The only reference found by Google led me to the online publication of what must be the same source you have quoted from? https://archive.org/stream/scottishrecordso47scotuoft#page/n111/mode/2up

Incidentally, Elisabeth marries Alexander Abercrombie, "baker in Bristo St, and Elizabeth Cunningham, residenter there, and lawful daughter of the deceased David Cunningham, baker in Edinburgh" in 1781.

Edit: I've answered one of my questions above. "Lomphoy" must mean Lymphoy House, which is in Currie and so matches that birth record I found...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith