Author Topic: My Great Grandfathers 1914-15 Star  (Read 3178 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Great Grandfathers 1914-15 Star
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Belfast News-Letter, Friday 8 October 1915
British Casualties
Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Wounded
6th Battalion
Doran, 11800, Sergt. J.

Some of those MH 106 records are now on findmypast, with images. But no sign of John's at the moment.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
In this case the much maligned Forces War Records do have a record that has not yet made it to Ancestry or FindMyPast although presumably the Belfast Telegraph and or the casualty lists can be seen on other sites (Genealogist perhaps?).

The 6th Battalion left Gallipoli on 30 September 1915 and went to the Salonika front but as casualty lists took time to get to the publication stage, the wounding was most likely at Gallipoli.  The war diary is on Ancestry although soldier casualties are not named.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Max, the newspaper is on findmypast/BNA. It's just something extra I threw in.

I am not tempted to go on Forces War Records!
But those records from MH106 are obviously of interest. The (free) index can be searched separately on that site, so at least we know what sort of record it is
John

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 November 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Doh - just needed to hit the button that says Irish Newspapers which I omitted to do!  So not "exclusive to Forces war records" except in the sense that it is indexed.  Thanks John.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
  • ~ I am the result of the love of thousands ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaxD,

Well it threw me when I saw Corporal on the medal as on his marriage cert it has him down as Sergeant 6th battalion, Roy Innis. Fus.  However, there were two records; the first has him down as Sergeant in 1st Battalion and it is basically outlining that he had received an injury to his leg, (shell) and that he was moved from one medical area to a clearing hospital the following day ~ The second record, two months later, states he is still a Sergeant however in the 6th Battalion and that he was listed as wounded on the casualty list issued by the war office ~ "This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list" - so I'm not entirely sure what that means however or really what the actual records are, (they are typed up rather than a photocopy or original) lol ~ this was between Aug 8 and October 10 1915. however I do recall on his sons birth certificate, he had a different surname, (his mother's) as when he was born, 1916, his father was away on active duty and parents were due to be married on his return so there must be some more details somewhere - or not, if records included in the bombing :(
Doran / Ward / Carr / Kerr / O'Kane / O'Connor / Goostrey / McLaughlin

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonw65,

Sorry I missed your posts, (didn't click on 2nd page button),

Thank you for the info from FindMyPast - I am subscribed to both Ancestry and FindMyPast...and now Forces Records lol - but I shall definitely be taking a look now at the records that are mentioned on Forces Records - MH106/217 - thanks for all your replies and pointing me in the right direction :)

Michelle

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Some bits can be explained.  He was in all probability an acting sergeant ie his substantive rank (which went on the medal card) was Corporal but he was on the first rung of promotion to sergeant.  The "acting" tended only to be used in official army paperwork so on a marriage cert, sergeant would normally appear, he would be wearing the stripes.
A wound stripe would be authorised (it wasn't an "award" but a dress distinction) in accordance with blah blah (the wording you quote) for a wound caused by hostile action that had to be treated away from his immediate unit.

It is likely that the document comes from some semi-official history or local report (his record would use the present tense for the entitlement).

As to the 1st Battalion/6th Battalion - perhaps simply a c**k up in his docs?  His 1914-15 Star roll entry only says 6th Battalion, the start date you quote is the date on his medal card for arrival on Gallipoli which is the 6th Battalion landing date.  The 1st had been there since April. Nothing in either war diary.  Mystery.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much MaxD, for taking the time out to summarise things - it is invaluable to me - I was tasked with the family tree a decade back and it's the Doran side I'm struggling with - I was scathingly called out for proving that the John Doran in these docs was not actually Irish, (although both parents were); but was born and bred in Glasgow - so, the only man with these medals in his possession,  then said I must have my facts wrong, (despite producing his Birth, marriage and death certs), and that something didn't tie up with the dates on his military records! Lol - It IS the same bloke and I am happy with what I've learned over the last couple of days, thank you once again :)

Michelle

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 November 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, one more thing....

I think my Uncle was trying to say that he couldn't have been in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers if he was born in Glasgow....is that true? - I know he was definitely born in Glasgow to Irish parents....

Regards

Michelle