Author Topic: Saving images from Ancestry  (Read 1269 times)

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saving images from Ancestry
« on: Wednesday 29 November 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to download an image from Ancestry but having no luck. I click on save and a drop down says I can save to my computer but when I click on that nothing happens. Is this something anyone else has had a problem with?
I tried a different image just in case it was just that one but still no joy.

I am on a iMac using High Sierra, i would appreciate any advice, thanks.
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Saving images from Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
looking in their help file it doesn't mention high sierra only below

The location of the downloaded file will vary among browsers:
In Google Chrome, the downloaded file will appear in the bottom-left corner of the page. Click the down arrow and select Show in folder from the drop-down menu.
In Firefox, select Save File in the window that appears and click OK.
In Internet Explorer, the download will appear as a bar at the bottom of the page. Click the down arrow in the Save button and select Save As from the drop-down list.
In Microsoft Edge, the download will appear as a bar at the bottom of the page. Click the Open folder button.
In Safari, the file will save to your downloads folder and open automatically. To save it to another location, click File in the navigation bar and select Move To.

i am on microsoft edge and it has a a download at bottom but you use a save as to click on not the open folder it says above so whether the above helps not sure ;D ;D

Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 November 17 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, i have no trouble finding the download button, it's just that nothing happens!

Last night I managed to get round it by looking at the image on my ipad and downloading on there, just such a nuisance having to then transfer it over to mac. An unnecessary extra step! I am still waiting to hear back from A.
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't use iPad, iPhone or a Mac - I simply refuse to have anything to do with them! ;D

However, on my PC using Windows7 and Firefox, when I click on download, sometimes it appears that nothing happens.
But the image WILL be in my Download folder!

Maybe something similar has happened with you?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 17 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Take a screenshot on your iPad, then email it to yourself, and pick it up on your PC then rename and save - pretty easy.

Or Maybe try taking a screenshot from your PC, then you won't have to move it over.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline C-A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Originally from the UK, but live & work in Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I have found Ancestry frequently has problems lately.  I also use Mac and when downloads don't work I have resorted to using 'grab' to take a photo of the screen/document I want to save.  The other thing is sometimes the downloads are put into media files (and I can never find them either!).  When you download, make sure you select the file you want it saved to. 

C-A
Richards, Seddon, Welsh, Clark, Suttie, Ritchie, Tinworth, Harrington

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 November 17 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I recently changed my Ancestry subscription from World Wide to UK.  When I next went into my tree, all the records I had saved had gone, including my Shoebox - except for those from the UK.  All that came up was a notice advising me to take up a World Wide sub!  I had downloaded and saved a good number of vital records over the years, BDM's and newspaper records etc. from Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand, as well as UK! 

I was pretty peeved of course, because I'd paid for them, so I decided that night to write a letter of complaint to Ancestry, asking for them to be restored to my Gallery, as I had effectively paid for them with my previous World Wide sub!

I wrote the letter, then signed back in before I sent it, just to check myself, and fortunately they were all back in there,  so I guess must have been similar to the problem you were having CA.  A bit of an Ancestry disappearing problem somewhere as with you C-A!  So relieved they're back!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Don't know about High Sierra but I suspect its more to do with your browser. In the version of Safari I use you click on "save to your computer" and it puts them in your "Downloads" folder which should be accessible from the dock. ....... but, if you watch the top right hand side of the Safari window as you click the "save" button you should see a new button appear as the file downloads. Click it and there's your file. Double click that and it'll probably open in Preview (a much ignored app in my view) but it might depend if your computer is set to handle jpgs with 'owt else.